Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I suppose I have tried just about every kind of highway peg known to mankind on the 1800. Just never happy with them.

Well I called Jim Mick this week and talked to him for about 15 minutes and he very patiently walked me through picking the right set, my height, my weight, how I like to sit, do I want my knees flexed or not. All these little details that become so very important on a 600 mile day. I have chosen and installed the KD model peg, what suits you may vary.

All I got to say is these things are the Cats Eye now!! They should be standard equipment on the 1800.

Yes I like the Mick O Pegs, seems I have found the right ones now.

Kit

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,688 Posts
imported post

I agree Kit. Mick was at Calhoun as you probably know and he let me set on his 1800 and try out his pegs.

Don't remember which ones he was using then, but they fit me pretty good.

·
Administrator
26,169 Posts
imported post

They look pretty comfortable but do they hinder the lean angle any?

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Davogd430 wrote:
They look pretty comfortable but do they hinder the lean angle any?
I have the Kuryakyn floor boards on my bike, no the floorboards can touch the pavement and the Mics are still an inch or so off the road in the lean. In the stowed and up position, one would naturally never be using them for their intended function in twisties that would touch the pegs or floorboard. They set up pretty high, not doing much think I will go take a photo.

Kit

Attachments

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,688 Posts
imported post

Mick told me that they will not contact the ground before the foot pegs do. Providing you don't have your feet on them hold them down.

They retract above the foot pegs.

·
Registered
313 Posts
imported post

Hi Kit, i sat on DD Kings 1800 at Calhoun. i tried his various models on Mikopegs.he recommended the GD model for me. i think i remember that the KD pegs had a wider leg spread than i liked.The GD's seemed to be tucked into the engine a little tighter.If possible could you tell me what is the measurement from the head to the outside edge of the flat bar on your KD's with the pegs fully extended? i think you and i are the same height at 6'3" so i value your opinion. thanks for your article. john

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

johnboy wrote:
Hi Kit, i sat on DD Kings 1800 at Calhoun. i tried his various models on Mikopegs.he recommended the GD model for me. i think i remember that the KD pegs had a wider leg spread than i liked.The GD's seemed to be tucked into the engine a little tighter.If possible could you tell me what is the measurement from the head to the outside edge of the flat bar on your KD's with the pegs fully extended? i think you and i are the same height at 6'3" so i value your opinion. thanks for your article. john
John: They are from the valve cover to the actual point where the inside of your foot sits on the peg 3.5 inches. Fully extended down from the very top of the valve cover to the point of contact with the peg is 11 inches. And as they extend down they stay at 3.5 inches out from the covers also. I have a slight flex in my knees which I like, or I can just put my heels on the pegs and let my legs fall straight down and let the pegs support the back of my feet with my legs straight.

I am not as big as you. You will most likely have to talk to Jim. He can talk you through it. I am only exactly six feet. Just my hat makes me look taller. :D.

Kit

·
Registered
313 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the quick reply Kit. it must be your presence that makes you larger than life. Mikopegs are definetly on my list of to buy items to make my ride more comfortable. I always thought the wing was designed for the average rider, 5'10" or so.The running boards certainly helped, the pegs will be the icing on the cake.

thanks again John

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

I've been eyeing the Mick-o-Pegs for quite awhile, just haven't been able to let go of the cash for them yet. Was Jim Mick at Calhoun? I didn't see him there if he was. :( I did talk with him at the '07 Wing Ding but then I was talking about my 1200. Since I upgraded in August I now want them for my 1500.

Thanks for your review of them Kit.

John

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
I've been eyeing the Mick-o-Pegs for quite awhile, just haven't been able to let go of the cash for them yet. Was Jim Mick at Calhoun? I didn't see him there if he was. :( I did talk with him at the '07 Wing Ding but then I was talking about my 1200. Since I upgraded in August I now want them for my 1500.

Thanks for your review of them Kit.

John
I do not remember if he was there or not, I met so many people and tried to talk to everyone for just a few minutes. I do remember dking, or something like that being there and representing the pegs.

I will have to be honest and say it was the price of them that deterred me from trying them also. Having said this I have purchased and discarded or given away 5 other brand sets of pegs in my gradual decision to try the Mics. I should have just purchased them to begin with. I was also leery of the price, but veterans day we did right close to 500 miles and my knees were cramping up and bothering me with the latest ones I had, so I took them off the next morning and called Jim.

I would like to stress no one person will like the same design. They have quite a few different pegs and depending on you height, inseam, weight, stock or otherwise seat, how you like to sit on the seat, floorboards or pegs, do you like a more cruiser type position, I personally like that one, with knees flexed and slipped down and using the backrest .

Those guys know their product, and will talk to you as long as it takes to help you pick out the right one . No one set will suit everyone.

Kit

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Hey Kit, a question for you.

You mention that your knees weren't hurting, but my problem is the next set of joints up. What kind of stress do you feel in your hip area with the Mick's?

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

MDKramer wrote:
Hey Kit, a question for you.

You mention that your knees weren't hurting, but my problem is the next set of joints up. What kind of stress do you feel in your hip area with the Mick's?
My knees were hurting, that was the problem. I had installed a set of All Brand Pegs with heel rests. This way I could basically have a two foot long floorboard and move my feet into many positions. However they did keep my legs up high and on a long run of 500 miles or so, yes my knees would get to getting cramped.

We went on a small ride today, about 230 miles, not real far, so as of yet I have not done a 500 mile one yet again. I can tell that the Mick O Pegs are the deal though, they are great, so I have no concerns in how they will perform. With them I can also just lay my heel on the peg and straighten my leg completely out, so they are a cool deal.

I do not know how to answer you on the hip pain. I have never experienced that on any bike, not yet. I have had that sharp pain between the shoulder blades on several bikes including the wing, the handlebar kit took care of that, the Mics have solved the cramped knees, but I have never been bothered with hip pain, so I do not think I can answer that one. Have never had hip pain on a bike, or back pain, so I suppose it will take someone who has had hip pain to speak on that subject.

I can kinda go out on a limb and say, I notice no hip strain. But do notice a bit of lack of thigh support with the mics, on the 1800 and I speak of this bike with stock seat only, but I do not think the will be a problem, especially now that I figured out I can safely fully extend my feet and simply use the pegs as a heel support. Other bikes with a bit wider seat in the front area will be different.

Kit

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

I'd LOVE to be able to stretch my legs out straight on my 1500SE, without having to set the on top of my hi-way boards ...that's not real comfortable, but it does relieve the strain off my legs & hips.

The lower pegs allow me to change the angle of my feet, toe up, flat & heel up...which helps.

I've sat on 1800s with theMic-O-Pegs. I think I'd really like them.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Pop-eye: Some of the models are made for the 1500 so it is not just for the 1800. There are several models to do specific things. I opted for one that allows me some flex in my knees, as full down becomes tiring also. What I do and have found out I can do is in the standard position with my feet on the pegs and knees slightly flexed if I like I can just move my feet ahead of the pegs and let my legs hang straight down and use the peg as a rear heel support. One quickly learns the proper way to get ones feet back to the controls in a hurry, it is a simple lift and swing back to the floorboards, or foot pegs whichever you have.

Kit

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

I think I will look into the Mic-O-Pegs for my 1500SE.

It sure would be nice to put my legs out straight since that is whateases the painin my hips, after about 300 miles.

Those and a rear mudflap and I think I'm good.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,688 Posts
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
I've been eyeing the Mick-o-Pegs for quite awhile, just haven't been able to let go of the cash for them yet. Was Jim Mick at Calhoun? I didn't see him there if he was.
Hey John :waving: , you need to read this thread from the top :action:

Your answer is in Post #2 :cheeky1:

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
Jluvs2dive wrote:
I've been eyeing the Mick-o-Pegs for quite awhile, just haven't been able to let go of the cash for them yet. Was Jim Mick at Calhoun? I didn't see him there if he was.
Hey John :waving: , you need to read this thread from the top :action:

Your answer is in Post #2 :cheeky1:
Thanks John, but my question was actually in response to your postings, including that one. I know the owner of Mick-O-Pegs is Jim Mick, but you kept referring to "Mick" being there, so I was wondering if Jim himself was there, or someone else representing the company, or was it just someone that had some Mick-O-Pegs on their bike? I didn't see anyone from the company there, but may very well have just missed them too since there was a lot going on. :):waving:

John

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,688 Posts
imported post

I think it was in another thread that I actually mentioned that he was indeed at Calhoun. I have some pictures and even a video of him. Do you remember seeing a bright yellow 1800 parked on the east side of the east drive down near the south end? That's where he spent most of his time.

Quite a few of us were over there visiting with him.

However, he didn't stick around too long and pulled out for other commitments around 2'ish in the afternoon.

I heard a lot of people asking where he was after having heard others say they talked with him.

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

Nope, don't recall seeing it. Must have been out doing something else when he was there.:baffled: Probably just as well. I might have spent some more money if I would have run into him. :dude:

John

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
So, how pricy are the. Mick O Pegs? I have not found them. Googled and came up with link to Wingstuff, but could not find them on their site. ;(

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.