Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Pwhoever
3,497 Posts
Its getting real close. I will finish packing later tonight, trike is gassed up, and I will be headed out in the A.M. spending tomorrow night in Palmyra. I should be pulling into Farmington early afternoon on Thursday. I'm am so ready to get out of town for a bit...

·
Premium Member
1,230 Posts
Had a great weekend. Beautiful weather and great people to be with. Thank you Randy, Scott, Debbie for putting this on. Thank you Pwhoever for sharing the room and listening to me.

·
Pwhoever
3,497 Posts
I agree, great folks and I enjoyed sharing the room. Amazing roads just about anywhere we went from the hotel. This well needed weekend was just the ticket. I will arrive home later this afternoon after a nice overnight stay in Thomson, IL. It's nice to no longer need to rush straight home after these events...

·
Pwhoever
3,497 Posts
I'm now home safe and sound. Only casualty was the left rubber pad on the passenger footrest. It must have come off sometime after starting out and my first fuel stop. I threw a wanted to buy ad over on the other forum. I did have an interesting event during trip while running down a back road somewhere in Northwestern Illinois. It was a 2 lane road with almost no traffic. Ahead was an incline to some railroad tracks. It wasn't until I was almost at the tracks traveling at 60mph that I saw how bad they were. Usually there will be a sign warning about a rough crossing but of course, not this time. I hit the tracks at full speed and I would swear I actually went airborne for a brief time! That sucked! Somehow I kept control and didn't seem to harm the trike at all but maybe that's how the foot pad came loose???

Yesterday, I decided to let the Garmin XT handle the routing but it kept trying to send me to St Louis. Nope, not going there so I kept making change ups so I could cross the Mississippi at Louisiana, MO. I think it got a bit upset with me though because after crossing, I now let it control the route. Even though I had selected to "avoid unpaved roads", it still picked out 2 longer ones to send me down. First one wasn't to bad but second one narrowed down to a single lane and through some woodlands for quite a distance. I even had a young deer pop out maybe about 10 feet away from me and run alongside for a bit until it darted back up a steep hill and disappeared into the forest. Luckily it did that instead of running out in front of me while I was in the middle of nowhere... I had a heart to heart with that stupid GPS and apologized and after that, no more routing problems.

Like Keith mentions, thanks to Randy, Debby, and Scott for hosting such a great weekend gathering. Hotel was decent and the roads were absolutely outstanding. Great way to finish out the riding season...

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
62,724 Posts
I was towing a tractor home from Utah to OkieLand,
and all was well, until I was 12 miles from home.

new construction on US-169 and they had this new "trench" cut across the road, safe at 5 mph maybe?
I hit it at 50 mph with a trailer and tractor on top of it....

damn glad that I spent megaBucks on 3 inch wide straps to hold that tractor to the trailer.

and more megaBucks for Rotary Chain Binders for the Implements....

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

21 - 28 of 28 Posts