Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been feeling a mild vibration through my foot pegs on and off for the last 200 miles of short trips 20 - 80 miles a trip. The vibration is/was intermediate usually when I'm not accelerating or decelerating.

I think I found the problem I used the screw driver to the ear while I was inspecting the issue with the bike on the center stand. I rotated the rear wheel and heard a noise that sounds like a old rocking chair a rubbery sound. The noise was loudest at the final drive dust cover.

A little history would be I put a new tire and final drive on about 5-6 hundred miles ago.

For some reason or another I forgot to torque the axle nut when I put the tire on. Yes, I rode the bike maybe a hundred miles with the axle nut hand tight. THANK YOU LORD I AM STILL ALIVE. I found the nut was loose because the rear end started clicking while turning left at slow speed. So I tightened it said Thank you and went on. Not long later the mild vibration in my pegs started to happen while in between acceleration and deceleration. Turning the rear tire by hand made a rubber squeaking sound like a rocking chair.

I took the tire off and found the spider gear was making the noise where the posts stick in the tire. I was able to recreate the sound by wiggling the spider in the tire. I pulled it rotated it and reinserted it ensuring a firm seat. I have some moly on those so they don't stick much.

While I was there I pulled the rear shock absorbers, flipped them upside down and pumped the oil out, flipped them right side up (using a 60cc lock lure syringe as a self holding funnel that fit perfectly in the air hole/drain hole) added 11oz of gas (Would have preferred K-1 Think explosion) pumped and pumped and pumped. I used a basic fulcrum to compress the shock (5ft 2x4 (top) wood block (bottom) Building for my pivot point) and I should have got a picture. Rinsed with oil PUMP................pump.............pump..........then filled 10.5oz Or full compressed same amount once the air is out of the oil.

This time when I put the tire back on I torqued the axle nut and now there is no rocking chair noise.

I will test ride soon.

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, seems OK now their is some very minor vibration while cornering under some power but I think it may be my new rear tire a Michelin commander II as it has extra tread on the edges. I may just be over sensitive.

I'm glad I changed the oil in the shocks now my CD player almost never skips and the ride is quite smooth.:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.