Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've got 40K to 50K on my clutch and it seems to be slipping. Is this about all I should expect out of it?

THANKS!!!:?

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
A good friend of mine has been a Honda mechanic for quite some time. He once told me that in 16 years of wrenching on motorcycles at our local dealership, he's only had to replace ONE Goldwing clutch...and he'd been absolutely certain it was due to its owner having towed his broke-down car behind the bike to get it home from wherever it had broke down. I have 135,XXX on my factory clutch right now, still going strong.
Might I ask: what are the symptoms suggesting to you that your clutch is "slipping?"

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,331 Posts
It may be that someone ran some miracle additive to the oil at some time, or your damper plate may be coming apart.

However, it may also be that you just have some gunk buildup because the bike is so seldom ridden. Try a motor flush with MMA or Sea-Foam and see if that helps before you start tearing the motor out.

My damper plate lasted nearly a quarter million miles. I replaced the fibers also while we had it apart but they were still OK.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
50K it is just barely broke in. When was the last time the clutch fluid was flushed, and changed?
gumbyred

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
No clutch fluid in an 1100. Cable operated. Engine oil lubricates the clutch.

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Hi,

I've got 40K to 50K on my clutch and it seems to be slipping. Is this about all I should expect out of it?

THANKS!!!:?
Mileage is a bit low for a clutch issue however, assuming that you are refering to the 1100 model the age is likely the factor here and not the mileage.

That said, I would expect that it is your springs that are out of tolerance and not the plates. IF, you noticed this right away and did not keep riding it causing the plates to glaze or warp, the plates themselves are likely fine.

Pull the springs and measure them for tolerance. Ours were out of tolerance around 100k. Both 1100s rode hard with trailer most of the time. Replaced plates while doing the springs simply because I don't like doing a halfass job.

Of course, you never know for sure how the bike was treated before you bought it unless, you are the original owner ....

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
634 Posts
Hope you have a manual...?

There IS some adjustment on both endds of the cable.
If this has never ben done (to your knowledge) then it is worth a try...Check your manual if you have one for the correct procedure for your year 1100...The '80 & '81 are different than the '82 & '83 I believe..I have done our '80 once and it seems to have helped at 81,000 miles...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.