Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi. When i got my bike it routinely got 40mpg. Then i checked, adjusted the valve clearances to spec, same with electronic ignition with timing light, and now mileage is terrible, like 25-30mpg. Could innacurate valve clearances be the culprit?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

Also, looks like flooding -- fuel is pooling beneath 1 or 2 float bowls. Maybe leaky floats or faulty float needles. This would seem to add to poor mileage, right?

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

There is some informationmissing here... We need input...

How many miles on the bike? Did you do anything to the carbs when adjusting the valves & timing etc? Did you disconnect any vacuum hoses? Is the air cleaner and fuel filter clean? Why did you do the work on the engine in the first place?

Fuel puddles is a bad sign.. Something has changed since before you did the work. Wasted fuel is always going to give you poor gas mileage..

Tell us exactly what the history is on the bike and we can come up with a solution.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Mag, if you have set your valve clearnaces too tight you will definately lose fuel economy and you could cause engine damage. If you suspect that you may have done the valve adjustment wrong, go over it again and make sure you that you cannot question the procedure this time.

Also double check the procedue you used to set the timing. It can be confusing on a Wing.

Once you know without a doubt that the valves and timing are properly set come back and let us know if you need any more help.

Vic

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Bike had sat for several months before i bought it. The year before that, it had also sat for a couple of years. My thought is that carbs need overhauling. Bike only has 40k miles on it. It was running rough when i got it, so i went at a tuneup. I've owned two other wings prior to this -- an 81 and a 76.

I will definitely go back and check valve clearances, though i was very thorough, making sure to re-check the gaps after i tightened each one. Timing was done with an OEM sight glass fitted in the timing cover hole with a brand new Xenon timing light -- yes, advance was tested at higher rpm as well. Carbs have been synched several times.

Thanks for your input. I'll get back when i check valve clearances. My thought is that the floats are leaking, as i had drained the float bowls, and sprayed some carb cleaner in the drain screw hole up into the bowl -- maybe i damaged the floats with the corrrosive cleaner. That's my intuition. Stupid mistake after a lot of careful tuneup work.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Just re-adjusted valve clearances. They were off slightly. Also, re-balanced the carbs. Also noticed that fuel leaking possibly not from bowls, but from fuel filter line>pump. Maybe still from the bowls, but will check after fitting a hoseclamp to the filter line to see if it's just gathering there in the well. Bike runs smoother now anyway, we'll see about fuel mileage. Next step is undoubtably carb overhaul.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.