1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

1985 goldwing interstate

how can you tell the mileage on the bike

i just purchased this bike i was told it had 81000 on it can i tell if it has rolled over

also i live in canada is it in miles or km

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
imported post

If it's rolled over then there is no way of telling. The Aspencade had an extra digit so if it rolled over it would read say 181000, but they were very easy to fiddle the numbers on. I believe the GL1200 Asp and the GL1500 are very easy to fiddle the mileage on. Never did this myself of course, just heard about it.

Not sure about the kms thing, some of the Canadian lads will be able to clue you in on that one. :waving:

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

The Cub, For an 85 the mileage sounds about right?!

If it's an original Canadian bike it should be KM's?!:baffled:

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

If it's a Canadian bike from new it is in KM. If on the other hand if someone bought it in the US as I did it will be in miles Aspy have a choice of speedos K/M or Miles BUT the odometer on US bikes is in miles. The speedo will tell you; if the speed numbers are in K/m with small miles it is definitley K/m's

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I would think it's unlikely that it would have 181,000km on it, especially in Canada where it probably wasn't ridden year 'round. 81,000 does sound about right for an 85 (49,000 miles plus or minus)

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

My 85 Aspy rolled over 191,000 k this past weekend and I have seen them with more than that on in Canada. Just depends on how vigorous one rides.
And just which province would Mount Pearl belong to :) ?

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

With cars, it's kinda easy to tell the difference between 81,000 and 181,000 miles. Look at the carpet in the drivers floorboard, look at the rubber pad on the brake pedal. Those items tend to show lots more wear at 181,000 then 81,000.

Perhaps on a GW you can check things such as the rubber on the topside of the footpegs, shifter, etc, checking compression is one way, although not a surefire way. Some items will just show more wear after 100k more miles. Or Km, but not as much.

Raymond

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.