Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

HI All,

Found this forum. I"ve been riding many years and essentially year round. I had a BMW k1200 LT which was an exc touring bike in all regards. Thinking of getting a new bike, probably won't get another k1200 because of the hassle of the nearest dealer being 140 miles away. Honda dealer around the corner.

The k12 delivered exc. gas mileage. What's the mileage you can expect on highway on the 1800? I'm located in Georgia.

Thanks

Chris

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey zvezdah1 :waving:Your very welcome to the forum and i hope you enjoy all the banter that takes place here. :clapper: The K1200LT is a good touring bike, but not in the same league as the :18red:The MPG that you can expect to get from a :18red:is around 40mpg. This figure all depends on the type of rider you are, if you are aggressive it will be less. :crying:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks Red.

Since you're living in Ireland 40mpg would be imperial gallon? I checked a conversion chart. A US gallon is .83 imperial gallons, so that would give an approximate 33 mpg per gallon.

Thanks for your help. Just back from the Honda dealer and looked at an 05. The one thing that I know I"ll miss immediately from the k1200 is the electric windscreen raise/lower as well as heated grips and seat (options on the gwing)

But quite a nice bike and the center of gravity is miles lower than the k1200.

Chris

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Chris, Do yourself a favor and get the Wing.:clapper:

Hey Redwing,

Congratulations on getting over a Thousand post, You sure have a lot to say. Here is a new puppy for you.

Dean

[url]www.superlaugh.com/1/virtualpuppy.swf[/url]

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I know this has prolly been asked a million times before. I made several long trips on the k1200 including a 4000 mile round trip through Canada in comfort. Any of you guys ride on long trips. The other thing, my k1200 was my daily transport, the high c of g made it a bit tough at ultra low speeds. The wing seems quite set to the task.
Chris

BTW>I actually just applied and was approved for the loan with my credit union on line about 15 minutes ago! Do any of you guys think the cb is useful as an option? Not sure I need/want it.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

zvezdah1 wrote:
Thanks Red.

Just back from the Honda dealer and looked at an 05. The one thing that I know I"ll miss immediately from the k1200 is the electric windscreen raise/lower as well as heated grips and seat (options on the gwing)

But quite a nice bike and the center of gravity is miles lower than the k1200.
Hey zvezdah1 :waving: The centre of grav on the :18red:is much lower than the K1200LT and she handles wellin slow moving traffic :clapper:and handles reallygood inthe curves. :jumper:Once you set the screen you should not have to move itafter that. :skipping: Heated grips and seat can be fitted to the :18red:at an extra charge which is no big deal to anowner of the :18red:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

dean_3326 wrote:
Hey Redwing,

Congratulations on getting over a Thousand post, You sure have a lot to say. Here is a new puppy for you.

Dean

[url]http://www.superlaugh.com/1/virtualpuppy.swf[/url]
Hey dean_3326 :waving: Thanks pal for the congrats. :clapper: If you lived where i live you would have a lot to say as well. :weightlifter:I cant get that puppy opened, and Shep is sitting here beside me waiting to see it. :stumped:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

zvezdah1 wrote:
I know this has prolly been asked a million times before. I made several long trips on the k1200 including a 4000 mile round trip through Canada in comfort. Any of you guys ride on long trips. The other thing, my k1200 was my daily transport, the high c of g made it a bit tough at ultra low speeds. The wing seems quite set to the task.
Chris

BTW>I actually just applied and was approved for the loan with my credit union on line about 15 minutes ago! Do any of you guys think the cb is useful as an option? Not sure I need/want it.
hey zvezdah1 :waving: The :18red:is the Rolls Royce of the Touring motor/cyclists. :clapper: The further you travel the better she gets. If you got your loan approved go for it. :weightlifter:Im not in to CB's when i get on the :18red:i dont want to hear anything only the purr's of that 1800 engine. :jumper:

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Redwing,

I wish you could open it...I know shep and you both would like him...He is very obedient...

Dean

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Hey Dean ,,that was great I had a great laugh ,,I played with him for ages ,,,

hello zvezdah 1 You wont go wrong buying a wing and a CB is a must if you are doing any kind of long trips with other wingers ,,,It keeps you all in touch and you will never get lost if you get separated from the main bunch ,,,Happy motoring ,,cheers Ciaran

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Welcome aboard zvezdah1 :waving:

I have a 1993 Wing and my brother has a BMW 1150. After riding his Bimmer I can say I much prefer my Wing when running around town, especially in parking lots. I also really like having reverse, you can park in a downward slanted slot without having to back in. I've got Progressive springs and shocks on my bike and can just about keep up with his BMW in the curves, so he's a little faster there, but when it comes to racking up miles the Wing is King! The six cylinder engine has a LOT of torque, a lot less shifting needed. (I don't know how it compares to the BMW 4 cylinder like you had) But it is silky smooth, you can slow down to 20mph and twist the throttle full open in 5th gear and she pulls right up. Goes up hills with a lot less need for down shifting too. One other thing I like is it is a pain for my brother to get at a lot of stuff on his bike, the battery for instance. On a Wing it's easy and quick, no tools needed. They are both great bikes, but my vote goes to the Goldwing!

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
imported post

you can ride all day with out problem 800mile days are no problem the cb is great if riding with friends or on of the associations

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
imported post

ZVEZDAH1,
I get about 40mpg (US gals) and have squeezed 50 when I was good.(Why?) I've had them all...Get the Wing...if gas mileage is all you're worried about...get a scooter! The wing isn't a lightweight in traffic but it's much easier to handle than any Beemer. I've never had a CB so I don't miss it. If you breakdown(you won't) use a cellphone. GOOD LUCK! Welcome to the club.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

I ride my 03 wing long hard city,country and highway. I check mpg at all fill-ups. avg 40 mpg. I have gotten up to 47 on long trips. I avg about 14,000 miles a year. My HD hasnt been out of garage since I got my wing. I have been riding now for 46 yrs. I do not haave a good mps check since I changed to dunlop elite III tires but dont expect much change. On occassion I do tow a trailer and it cost me about 3mpg. As for the cb its your chhoice I dont see the need I do caarry my cell phone and have no problem with using freehand mode at highway speeds.

IN THE WIND

GREAT PUMPKIN

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

great pumpkin wrote:
My HD hasnt been out of garage since I got my wing.
Hey great pumpkin :waving: Do you need a push with the HD. :whip:

:skipping::18red::skipping:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.