Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Administrator
57,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The install took an extremely long time, 2 hours is my guess, I was reading a book and went to sleep.

right now, it is a fresh install, no updates have been applied yet.
I wanted to get Firefox setup first, which was super simple, all I had to do was log into Firefox Sync and sit back and wait.

good thing, is the Mint 19.3 recognizes the 5g WiFi adapter w/o me having to do anything.
I actually did that before I brought up Firefox, because the data rate is more than 3 times faster than 2.4g WiFi

For now, it is looking pretty good.

I have not done anything to the SSD cards in the laptop yet, it is dual boot with Win10.
I am thinking that I will leave it that way, and when 19.3 LTS is released that I will install the 1TB SSD in the 2nd drive bay. that will give me all the room I need for Linux.
And, I will be able to boot into Win10 and run TurboTax...

·
Magic Moderator
4,332 Posts
I'm glad the 19.3 is working for you, I was hoping there would be something in the latest version that would work, that's an expensive laptop.

·
Administrator
57,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm glad the 19.3 is working for you, I was hoping there would be something in the latest version that would work, that's an expensive laptop.
way too damn expensive, for the longest time, I would not use it at all.
we did not have a 5g WiFi router, and it crawled.
then I bought the Blue Premium unlimited ISP plan, and that made it work.
today, recognizing that 19.3 is actually going to be nicer than 18.3 is just icing on the cake.

·
Administrator
57,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well,
after a lot of discussions with the helpers on the Mint forum,
I have decided to not attempt to make Win10 SSD visible in Linux.
Just leave it alone, I can boot into it anytime that it is needed for TurboTax, etc.

When 19.3 LTS arrives, I will install the 1tB SSD and put a fresh install on that.
Partition the 1tB into to 500gB partitions, same thing I did with the other ASUS TP500LA laptop.
that gave me the advantage of having instant backups to a separate partition for
  • Timeshift
  • Aptik
  • LuckyBackup ( /home/..... )
it is possible to make the Win10 SSD viewable in Linux on 99.9% of PCs.
But not with ASUS and a couple of other manufacturers....
they purposely format the SSD as a RAID device, which makes it invisible to any other OS, period.

It can be made viewable by eliminating RAID and switching it back to ACHI, but it will break Win10 in the process..... I can't afford to have that happen.

So, this laptop will be dual boot, sort of..... I have to boot into BIOS, and then select the OS to boot up on. Once that is done, it will boot into that OS forever, until I go back into BIOS and change it again.

. oh well....

·
Registered
588 Posts
You can do a system backup of the Win 10 partition (Google "full system backup windows 10"). (https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-create-a-full-system-backup-in-windows-10/) This needs to be done with the windows backup tools within running windows 10 so it can read the OS on your RAID-formatted drive. You will need to store the backup to a USB drive, and will also need a blank CD/DVD to make a system repair disc. I did this once on a windows 7 machine on an encrypted drive so I could migrate the OS intact and unencrypted to an SSD. The Win 10 system backup uses the win 7 tool (still has it built in, it's in Control Panel).

Once the backup is complete, install the new SSD, boot from the system repair CD created by the Windows backup tool, and you can restore the Win 10 image from the USB drive to the new SSD that is NOT formatted as RAID. Then you'll be able to do dual booting etc.

This worked very well for me moving the OS to an unencrypted drive. I generally don't do system backups that way from within a running OS, preferring to use Ghost or Acronis, but this is sometimes the only option.

Once you confirm you have win 10 running on the new drive, you can reformat the old drive to ACHI and restore it there, too.

·
Administrator
57,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay,
Continuing on.... the new ASUS TUF Gaming laptop is 17" screen and very high Definition.
This resulted in the Command Line Text being so small, as to be unreadable for me.

I started a thread asking how to change the font sizes, it seems that Mozilla in their wisdom decided to turn this feature OFF by default for every one. :(
why? not all of us are using a 12" screen laptop, things are not the same for all of us.

Read this last post that I made, click on each of the images so they will get bigger,
and then use the 'Back key' to return to the post.

Note how I am now able to really see the title fonts in FF now.

. if anyone else wants to do this, just ask, because some of the steps are left out in the last two posts....
the gurus and I left out a few major ideas on the last posts, that are required to make this work.

·
Administrator
57,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Administrator
57,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I completed the download and made a bootable stick. (y) Need to dig through the hard drive collection and try it. :)
I just did that too, man that download took a long time.
but, the SHA hash check proved out good, and I used USBWriter to over-write the 19.2 stick.
I use GTKhash to prove the SHA certs are valid... it is automatic, none of that manual typing in Terminal is needed.

Tmw, I am going to replace the 120gB SSD with the new 1tB SSD that has been waiting on me for months to do something with it. I can plug that 120gB SDD into one of the slower laptops, make it useful for something.

Did a Timeshift and also Aptik and saved both to my 6tB USB HDD.
better than a disk image IMO, I can do a fresh install in a matter of minutes,
run Aptik to put the apps and config stuff back like I had it.

timeshift is there in case I need to back up to the pre-release status.

I did a Luckybackup of /Home to the 6tB USB HDD, what that did was to make a virtual image of everything in /Home which includes all of my configuration files. It is actually a copy of all of the folders, you can browse thru with with NEMO.

So, I have 3 ways from Sunday to make sure that the new SSD comes up running like it should.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Would be a good time to do the Win10 backup/restore I mentioned above, you could make dual-boot without twiddling BIOS.

·
Administrator
57,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Would be a good time to do the Win10 backup/restore I mentioned above, you could make dual-boot without twiddling BIOS.
I have decided that I am going to leave the Win10 SSD alone, and not mess with it.
It is invisible to Linux anyway, because ASUS set it up as a RAID drive.... which confused me for almost a year until a guy in the Linux forum explained why the Linux Live Session could not see the OEM Win10 SSD.....

that is when I opened up the laptop all prepared to replace the OEM SSD and found out that is impossible, because they buried it underneath a whole **** pot full of copper cooling crap.... thought I was screwed....... then I noticed "Hey, there is a 2nd HDD bay in this laptop".
It too was hidden, but not enough that I could not see it.

So, I stuck a SSD in that bay, and wallah! Linux Live Session saw something it could use.

The BIOS on the ASUS TUF laptop lets you pick which drive you want to be the 'primary boot' drive, and once that is done, it will always boot up to that OS. In a bit, after I swallow a sandwich, I am going to replace the 2nd 120gB SSD with a 1tB SSD.

and then the fun starts.... the new 19.3 LTS Cinnamon will be installed, then Aptik will be run to restore my current settings on the new OS install.... and if anything is awry, I have a Timeshift on an external USB HDD to use to fix that.

·
Magic Moderator
4,332 Posts
I got a good deal on a Dell E6410 to set up with Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon, it comes with a hard drive with Windows10 and I know where that's going and a new 500GB 7200rpm HDD is getting installed. The red Dell E6410 has two problems and one has been fixed, the HDD is making a lot of scratching noises and I suspect there may be an internal voltage regulating problem.
I inspected the heat-sink and the thermal pad was deteriorated and put a new piece on the GPU and its running cooler. The red Dell experienced some water earlier this year. I do have a replacement board for that laptop in case its bad.

·
Administrator
57,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I never got around to upgrading the 120gB SSD to a 1tB SSD.
I decided to wait until I get the notice that the full up upgrade has been completed.

I have way too much effort already buried into learning what 19.3 beta can do.

Clem explained to us, that IF we have been using the beta version do not waste our time and effort to blow it all away and go with the full up version of 19.3 LTS.... he said the underlying code is all the same right now with just a few minor tweaks that he will give us by the end of the month...

I saw one upgrade offered this week, so minor it could have been ignored totally.
it was for Chromium, and I refuse to use Chrome browsers.

·
Magic Moderator
4,332 Posts
There's some funny stuff going on with the electrical in the apartment for the last few days I have been working on the red Dell and trying to figure out why its doing strange things, dreading the disassembly and putting everything on the new base, something in my head said "try another outlet". The outlets on the kitchen side make the laptop behave odd and when I used an outlet on the living room side the computer worked perfectly. Now I have a 'Test' laptop again to try different OS's. :)
The old Toshiba that ran Vista died and thus I had to get the files off the hard drive and now Windows7 will be getting a 500Gb HDD and will be taking over.

·
Administrator
57,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe you need to get one of the APC brand UPS power supplies, the little 350W units are not too expensive.

I have two of this model https://www.ebay.com/itm/362862949051

·
Administrator
57,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Unless the battery is junk, you pretty much have a UPS in a laptop.
true,
my APC UPS is on a Desktop with a spinning HDD.
3 of them are for entertainment electronics...
DISH / DirecTV being a real PITA when they crash and have to reboot.

I don't use a UPS with any laptop.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I only have one UPS, the Comcast modem, my wifi router and the main network switch are connected. That's not much of a load, it has a long stand-by time. Work computer is a new laptop with good battery. So if there's an outage when I'm working remote I can continue working on whatever I was doing without losing any work for quite a while until I get alternate power going (Deep-Cycle battery/Inverter/ string extension cords around)

Everything else in the house just dies, though. +1 on Dish Network PITA, takes the thing around 10 mins to boot up. Probably draws three times the power as the network gear on the APC, would cut my standby time severely, so I just let DISH die. Lotsa OTA TV channels here.

A note on the little inverters, I have two of them, the first one (300 watt) one time camping I accidentally hooked up the battery backward and killed it, so I got a 400 watt one at a nearby truck stop. The 400 watt one is a little nicer, has two USB charging ports, lower standby current and doesn't run the fan at all unless it's getting warm. I later opened up the 300 watt one and found it still OK, had only blown fuse. But this one uses more idle juice and runs the noisy fan full blast all the time. Also discovered the 400 watt one only puts out 90 VAC and doesn't like the power supply for the E6400 Laptop - that's the one I take camping lately - it beeps and cycles power on/off, so I have to use the noisy 300 watt one with the laptop.

Since this is a computer sub-forum, I've been working on upgrading machines from Win 7 to Win 10 (ya, mostly Micro$oft here), Win 7 is end-of-support after the January patches. Back in 2016 when Micro$oft was offering free upgrade Win 7 to Win 10 I backed up the OS drives on a number of machines, did the Win 10 upgrade to activate the license, backed up the upgraded Win 10 and then restored the Win 7 backup and continued to use Win 7.

Discovered I don't need to restore the 4 year old Win 10 backups, I'd lose data and apps etc, only need to run the current version of Win 10 setup on top of existing Win 7, if that particular license was registered four years ago the upgrade to Win 10 still works and I lose nothing.

I have one old e-Machines laptop (1.6 GHz, single core) that's slow as a snail on Win 10 even with an SSD. I'm going to try to move it's Win 10 license to a different machine that doesn't have one, and this laptop will get Linux instead. Been using Ubuntu Mate and Debian Stretch around here (Mint doesn't have an image that runs on Raspberry Pi's) but I think I'll try Mint on that laptop.

·
Administrator
57,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Microsoft pushes hard to tell us that anything but Win10 is now defunct and can't be used for useable work, and is severely security prone to being killed by the hacker vampires.

BS - a buddy of mine is still running 3 WinXP desktops with his business stuff on them, they have never been compromised.... we keep AVAST on them and that reports "bad boys" quite lot, and I find they are 99.9% 'pups'.... whoopy ta do.

Back when Win7 was first being told to upgrade to Win8x..... I turned off Windows Upgrade on my Win7 desktop PC. it has been "online" 24/7 ever since, and AVAST and MalwareBytes have never found anything on it that is harmful. But then, I don't go prowling the internet looking for the darkweb either.

.Most of my laptops have verious forms of Linux on it, depending on their age, and me experimenting with Linux looking for something that I can learn with, and enjoy. All but one have Windows wiped off of them. And that one, is the laptop I am currently using which has 2 SSDs in it...... one is the primary SSD that ASUS installed, and they buried it below a ton of cooling crap, making it impossible to get access to... they also format it in RAID so Linux can't look at it..... that screwed the pooch for a long time because the hardware in this laptop was not recognized by any version of Linux until 19.3 was released.

So, the 2nd drive bay has a SSD in it, and 19.3 Cinnamon. runs so smooth, makes me very happy.

Clem mentioned Mint 20 in his last update, said that now work will be started in it for a few months, they want to continue to polish up 19.3 and make sure the wrinkles are all stamped out.

I don't like to mess with x.1 or x.2 versions of Mint... they are trouble prone, and I just don't want to be the guinea pig for finding the bad issues to an OS.

So, 19.3 is good for 5 years now, or is it 4? can't remember. Anyhoo, as Clem says in the first paragraph of his notebooks " IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T BE UPGRADING IT "

do not put test OS's on your primary work PCs.

·
Registered
588 Posts
....I'm not upgrading EVERYTHING around here, the main computer I just upgraded to 10 but it boots a variety of VM OS's too. Then there's a box that dual-boots Win 7 / Win 8.1, another that tri-boots Win 7/ XP / Ubuntu, and yet another that boots Win 98SE. Back in the day I tried upgrading that one to XP, it couldn't cut it and I reverted it back to 98. Only a 166 MHz Pentium! Still runs good, has three SoundBlaster audio cards. It gets used in my multi-track recording system as an effects processor for either live recording, or just PA duties (been a musician for many years). Surprisingly you can still browse the web with it, the Opera vers 19 browser runs on '98, and is MOSTLY compatible with today's web! :D It's the ONLY semi-modern browser that '98 will run, though.

The work computers stay with whatever OS the company has installed on them, I don't mess with those, just keep 'em patched and updated at MY convenience. Have to, otherwise they will auto-update and reboot themselves right in the middle of what you are doing whether you want to or not. Locked down so you can't disable that. We DO get two weeks warning that patches are due, so plenty of time to do updates when it is convenient for ME.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts