Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK Pros. Please give me your insight
About 8 or so months ago, my 87 1200 gas mileage suddenly dropped from 40 mpg to 34/35. I checked everything that was suggested but found nothing. Two weeks ago I filled up and it showed getting 39.6 mpg. I had already zeroed my odometer so thought surely that I had misread the mileage. I filled up again today and it showed I was getting 42.8. I am thrilled that it is back where it should be but have no idea why or what happened.

Any explanations from anyone?
Thank you,
ErnieB

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
imported post

About twice a year the gas companies change the gas formulation from what they call a "winter" mix to a "summer" mix. That might be the problem right there if your bike is in good tune.. I'm not even gonna get into the octane discussion but I run premium in mine and have no problems with mileage, (42-45 average, 50.1 best [email protected] 65mph), or engine knock under load. To me, it's worth the extra few dollars...:coollep:

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gas Mileage

Well, it just turned cool here so maybe they changed the mix at the gas pump I use.

ErnieB

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
I don't have a clue but if it were me I'd go back and buy more of that gas.. Put it in cans... whatever it takes

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
OK Pros. Please give me your insight
About 8 or so months ago, my 87 1200 gas mileage suddenly dropped from 40 mpg to 34/35. I checked everything that was suggested but found nothing. Two weeks ago I filled up and it showed getting 39.6 mpg. I had already zeroed my odometer so thought surely that I had misread the mileage. I filled up again today and it showed I was getting 42.8. I am thrilled that it is back where it should be but have no idea why or what happened.

Any explanations from anyone?
Thank you,
ErnieB
Have you changed brands of gas?
I notice a definite milage drop running sunoco, about 10 %, in my car and bike

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Yes, it seems you are getting a great deal. I need some of that. lol

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
You sure one of your buddys aren't removing and adding gas to mess with ya?:rolleyes: Like mentioned before, they might be doing their summer/winter blend change over. I hate that winter stuff. All my vehicles get crappy mileage with it. I think it's another way for them to make more profits.:eek:

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
I have bought gas at one place and get great gas milage and purchased it somewhere else and struggle to get 40 miles per gallon.I borred 5 gallons form my brother inlaw and he said it was only two weeks old the bike struggled to get 40 miles per gallon going home.I believe that the mixture ethynol in gas now starts breaking down and if it isn't fresh you pay for in gas milage the bike didn't miss a beat but didn't get good milage on several trips at times when I used gas from somewhere else.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
Gas mileage can be affected by temperature, humidity, wind, grade, altitude, driving style, tire air pressure, brake drag and on and on so we really have to look closely and carefully at what might cause an increase or decrease in gas mileage.

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
Gas mileage can be affected by temperature, humidity, wind, grade, altitude, driving style, tire air pressure, brake drag and on and on so we really have to look closely and carefully at what might cause an increase or decrease in gas mileage.
All of what you say is true Vic but.... This gentleman has said that the drop was over a period of roughly 8 months AND he checked to see that the bike was in tune. This points to crappy gas as the main problem......:cool:

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
I can tell you a few months back I did my head gaskets and decided to take care of the fuel filter and cleaning the injection system up real nice while I was at it. I was getting 39-40 before all that. After the repairs it dropped to 35. Absolutely no change in riding style, routes, or gas station. It just dropped. About 2 months or so ago, it suddenly came back up and I've been running 40.2-43.1 ever since. Still with no changes in anything else.

Guess it's just the nature of the beast :?

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
I can tell you a few months back I did my head gaskets and decided to take care of the fuel filter and cleaning the injection system up real nice while I was at it. I was getting 39-40 before all that. After the repairs it dropped to 35. Absolutely no change in riding style, routes, or gas station. It just dropped. About 2 months or so ago, it suddenly came back up and I've been running 40.2-43.1 ever since. Still with no changes in anything else.

Guess it's just the nature of the beast :?
Note to self: don't let blackknytecnc work on my bikes..

hah.. Just kidding...

No really, don't..

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
The percentage of alcohol in gasoline directly impacts the mileage. You always get better with straight gas without any alcohol, but these days, they don't have to tell you if there's any alcohol in the gas they sell as "regular", up to a point. In some areas you can't even get unadulterated gasoline, no matter what it says on the pump. And the mix changes with every tankerload.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.