Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

New member here & all I can say is WOW what a lot of info ! Been lurking for a while so I thought I would join.

Just bought a 85 Aspencade with 30,000 on it. It does have some rust on some of the chrome,pipes, saddle bag brackets. I was told to use Turttle wax chrome polish to get that off. Is there anything else better ??

But what I really need is those darn mirror boots as they are cracked & dried out. Can anyone tell me where to find these or will I just have to buy new mirrors ?

THANKS in advance !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dude:

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

I am not sure if just the boots are available, but two sources for oem parts are www.bikebandit.com and www.powersportpro.com Aftermarket mirrors are cheaper than OEM but they are varible in performance. I replaced a broken oem mirror which was 14 years old (boot was great but tree+mirror=broken) with aftermarket and the boot went bad in two years, and they darned thing would not stay in place.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

Hi there RickinKY and welcome to what's rapidly become the best general Goldwing forum on the planet. There's no marque snobbery here and we all do our best to help one another. You can get a brand new set of mirrors & rubbers on EBay at present, for only $66. They are the black ones as fitted to the Interstate, you can get them painted if you want.look here;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4545132141&category=35587

[align=center]
[/align]
[align=left]I got a set of them only a couple of weeks ago and they are great.I hope this helps, and we look forward to your input here in the future.[/align]

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

darn... and I just replaced the jcwhitney one with an emgo one... looks like I will shell out the bucks for honda oem

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

With the Emgo, once you have them where you want them a squirt of crazy glue in the ball and socket will keep them there. Keep a protectant on the like Armor All on the rubber to keep the UV from eating it.

RickinKY: I find a hand buffing with fine steel wool followed by a good waxing cleans up chrome about as good as anything. It usually doesn't take much elbow grease with the steel wool either.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the site RickinKY. This is the best site around. I used steel wool (#000) to clean up my chrome with very little effort. It can be purchased at Home Depot or Lowe's. I keep it shining now with Eagle One's Nevr- Dull. This can be purchased at AutoZone , Oreilly's and most all auto parts store for about $4.00. Hope all goes well in the cleanup.

Billy

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Billy!! That is O'Reillys!! Remember where this board is based!! I hope REDWING doesn't see that!!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Brojees wrote:
Billy!! That is O'Reillys!! Remember where this board is based!! I hope REDWING doesn't see that!!
It's been Americanized! They probably didn't want to get confused with the 'Factor'!

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

I really do appreciate all the input !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Right now it is in the shop havin' the lines flushed, new plugs, fork seals, brake pads.

The fella I got it from said he changed the antifreeze & oil in the fall. He told me he used the Honda Coolent & the Honda Syn. oil. I was thinkin' bout putting in the Shell Syn. Rotella.

Any comments are sure WELCOME !!!

What oil filters do you recommend ? I was leanin' toward Hastings if I can find them !

Once again ! THANKS !!!!!!!!! :clapper:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

RickinKY wrote:
The fella I got it from said he changed the antifreeze & oil in the fall. He told me he used the Honda Coolent & the Honda Syn. oil. I was thinkin' bout putting in the Shell Syn. Rotella.

Any comments are sure WELCOME !!!

What oil filters do you recommend ? I was leanin' toward Hastings if I can find them !
I don't want to set of an avalanche, but I don't think it makes a hell of a lot of difference what type oil you use. Change it and the filter (I like Honda) often and ride often and the thing lasts looong time!

·
Registered
25 Posts
imported post

I know this is an old thread, but I have questions again on the boots. I have my dad's 1987 Aspencade now. I noticed that the left and right boots to the mirrors are in need of replacement. I have een to bikebandit.com but haven't found the boots for this year. Anyone have any success recently in replacing the OEM boots for the same - OEM product? If yes, can you please tell me where and for how much? Thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
imported post

Yeah, I saw the mirrors up there but will send them an email to find out if they sell the boots only. Thanks.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,579 Posts
imported post

What you see on the fiche is what you get.

Did you consider e-bay? Maybe if you contact some breakers they will be able to help.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.