Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've got a 1938 Aspencade and don't see any way of adjusting tightness on the mirrors. Is there a way to do it?

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
imported post

Remove the 2 mirror mounting screws that attach to the farring and under the plastic base you can access an adjustment screw.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

nopeda wrote:
...1938 Aspencade...
> That's a rare model

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Be careful you don't strip the threads it's pot metal in there..

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

If you haven't had the mirrorsoff before, there are backup nuts

See Litfuse post below for a better explanation.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
imported post

Ya know...One of these days, when someone asks a question that I can actually answer, I'm NOT gonna be the 6th post. . .:smiler:

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
imported post

To fix your problem,[follow these steps if you have an original radio and speakers] remove front turn signal assembly, remove the speaker. There are two nuts behind speaker that you need to control to keep from loosing.
After mirrors have been removed,there is a screw that can be tightened.Found that mine were too short so had to drill and tap,installed longer screw.
If the loose part is on the upper part of mirror:readit:[this can be dangerous to your health so you will want to be careful and use safety gear when you attempt to do this part,[a disclaimer of responsibility for injury to your self and people around you by following my methods]. Remove mirror assembly from fairing,immerse mirror head in hot water to heat up and soften gasket material. Gently and carefully remove mirror and gasket at the same time,screw is behind the mirror.
Welcome to the forum and good luck with your mirrors. Exercise caution but if you break mirror go to www.partsnmore.com or www.jcwhitney.com or any number of sites for replacement mirror assembly.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
imported post

I recently bought Whitney replacement mirrors. They work, but are kind of flimsy. I don't know if the partsnmore mirrors are any better but they are the same price, so you might want to try them if you do need to replace them.

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

RB wrote:
Be careful you don't strip the threads it's pot metal in there..
Amen to that! The threads strip VERY easily. Also clean off the lube from where it pivots and do not relube it. This helps to keep it in place when reinstalled.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
imported post

JC Whitney are for ****. They vibrate and move so much they are basically useless. I have to reset them all the time. They vibarate so much objects in them are unrecognisble. I would like to find some good ones. Any thoughts?

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

2ac911 wrote:
JC Whitney are for s***. They vibrate and move so much they are basically useless. I have to reset them all the time. They vibarate so much objects in them are unrecognisble. I would like to find some good ones. Any thoughts?
Problem with aftermarket is that they are all flat glass.. this makes it look like it is vibrating more when it actually is not... like already said, find some OEM (which have the convex glass) and do what ever is neceaary to get the screws tight enough.. even when the pot metal is stripped you can rethread, drill through and rethread, or just drill through and use a long screw with a nut on the inside or outside..

·
751 Posts
imported post

When I had my 82 gl1100 interstate I had the Droopy ear syndrum & I replaced mine with some I bought at sabercycle I do have to tell you this was back in 1998 though so they may not be carring any gl 1100 parts anymore !You can also go to a Motorcycle wrecking yard ! Here`s one www.steelscycle.com good luck in your search !

·
751 Posts
imported post

I just clicked on the web page & It wouldnt come up so give them a call (303)781-5339

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.