Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Just one of the guys
4,781 Posts
Where we are at the moment it is 82 and sunny, just a few puffy clouds, with a light pleasant breeze.

So far, to winter in Florida seems like a great idea.

·
Administrator
24,672 Posts
38 here and they are calling for snow but it's too warm for any hope of accumulation. I worked outside in short sleeves yesterday.

·
Administrator
57,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did a dum dum a few days ago.
We made a trip to Tulsa in the Suburban to an unknown address, so the GPS was plugged in.
On the Suburban, all 3 of the cigarette power sockets are 'ON' full time, they do NOT switch off with the Ignition.

Yup, so used to driving the Pontiac Vibe which does turn off the 12 power to the GPS, and we just got out of the truck and went inside.....

3 days later, I needed the truck.... no click even?
the DVM gives up the bad news, 9 volts, and this is a nearly new battery :(

I hate it when I do dumb **** like that.
Grabbed the Automatic Battery charger and plugged it in, took 2 days with temps between 21* and 42* to get it back up to 12.9 with charger disconnected.....

Plugged charger back in, it cycled 5 times and the LED display on it says Full Charge, DVM now shows 13.50

That one time, has now robbed that battery of a 1/3rd of it useful life.... instead of 6 to 8 years, I doubt that I get 3 years max out of it.

·
Premium Member
3,463 Posts
Wet cells … I used to tell people one good death is at least 1/2 the life down the tubes.

Back in early '80s I had a '78 Plymouth police car. Used it every day, big alternator, always good battery. It had a trunk light that you had to "turn on" manually. I substituted a mercury switch, it worked to turn the trunk light on only at fully open. It was adjusted so that if one just wanted in, but no light, you just opened part way to grab the shotgun. I moved into a different home upon transfer, suddenly my car was dead a few days. I got a new battery put in, next AM dead. Sgt. was on my case when I told him I needed another.

What it was … was my new parking spot at new residence, backing up in that one spot that had car pointed down hill. Soon that switch was gone into my parts box. Then I came home off duty and saw fuel leaking from fuel pump of car, just sitting there. I had parked it near full, it was near empty now.

I stopped using that hill side parking spot. I was renting, fuel leak was on gravel.

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Wet wet, and wet here.
No worries though. Makes for a great time to fiddle with the bike. I don't ride once they begin sanding the roads for snow in the mountains because: Virtually every highway out of our valley takes you through mountains and even on a fantastic winter day with sun and bare dry pavement the roads still have the sand/gravel on them on many of the corners. No problem for a Niken, but otherwise...better to stay home.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts