Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! So today on the way home from work I got caught in a pretty heavy rain, but after a few miles I noticed it started misfiring bad, felt like maybe 2 cylinders were out, then rain let up and after another few more miles it started running normal again. any ideas?(I should note that the front fender is cut short so I'm sure water throws right against the engine)

·
21,840 Posts
A few weeks ago, something like that happened to my, then new, '76 CB550K on the way home from Yellowstone NP. It turned out to be a leaf that somehow got caught in the spark plug cavity. So I'd suggest making sure the holes in the bottom of those cavities are unplugged.

I'm sure that was just a few weeks ago...:grin3:

·
Administrator
24,337 Posts
Just below the spark plugs is a drain hole that is notoriously plugged which lets water build up around the plug and shorts it out.

·
Registered
542 Posts
If it turns out the drain holes are OK you may have degraded spark plug caps or wires.

Some evening after dark try wetting them down with a spray bottle with the engine running and look for sparks snapping around where they shouldn't....

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
When I had a 1100 it would act up in the rain,I pulled up the rubber cap on the plug wire and filled it with vith sRTV and pushed back over the plug cap,no more issues but assure the hole is clear.

·
Premium Member
3,362 Posts
My money is on "Plug Wires"......!!

I rode a GL1000 for 14 years and never once had the drain holes get plugged up. Never happened to me or several friends riding GL1000.s.

I know it can happen but not necessarily a common thing....!!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Haven't had issue with plug wires (yet) on my 1100 but I did have a couple bad sparkplug caps. They were snapping sparks from the cap to the inside of the recess in the head, got so bad they were snapping sparks even when dry! Replaced all four of them, been good since.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Had an '82 Wing that would run terrible in rain. Found my ignition coils were grounding . silicone around the wires and sprayed with WD40.

·
Honda Guru
2,009 Posts
Back in 1977 I was part of the pit crew at the Onterio Moto Raceway 6hr Endurance. My rider was on his highly modified KZ900. It was a ‘heavy must to light rain’ all day.
Everything was going good then about 20 laps into the race the rider pits. Says the engine is missing. A minutes of fiddling finds moisture between the plug wire and supressor cap on #3. A quick job of pulling all the wires some silicon spray and it was fixed.
But this was racing. For the long term new caps and new wires might be required.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts