Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi Guys,

As usual I need advise from all you "Guru's" out there! I have a 1998 GL1500 SE which has "Bridgestone Exedra" tyres on it. The bike was bought used last fall. The other owner apparently must have changed the front tyre recently, as it is almost new. The rear tyre is worn down to the wear indicators so it is time to replace it. My question is: Is it OK or a bad idea to mixmatch tyre brands? It seems most of you guys like "Metzlers" so I wanted to switch to them if possible. However the front "Bridgestone" is so new that I hate to replace it now.

What say you all to a "Metzler" on the rear and a "Bridgestone" on the front? I do quite a bit of "2 Up" riding here in the States, and am planing a trip to Sturgis from Connecticuit this year. Appreciate your thoughts on this! Thanks,

Sincerly,
Mike V

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

Hi Mike, although most manufactures tell you not to mix match tyres, this is mostly to do with profit margins.

with modern rubber, as long as the treads are of a similar pattern then it shouldn't pose to much of a problem some times you can even improve grip/handling with a decentset of different manufactures tyres, as your going to change the rear anyway leave the front, see how it handles, only by your ownriding style can you tell if the bike isn't sticking to the road as it should, at the end of the day you've got nothing to loose accept the cost of a new front tyre.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Mike, mixing tyres is strictly experimental and it's really hard to give good advice on. I think it's the sort of thing that you have to stick your neck out and go for it and hope you are doing the right thing! If I had a good tyre I would probably use it anyway and just take it easy until I was sure of the handling in different conditions. :waving:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

mvasil54 wrote:
As usual I need advise from all you "Guru's" out there! I have a 1998 GL1500 SE which has "Bridgestone Exedra" tyres on it. The other owner apparently must have changed the front tyre recently, as it is almost new.

What say you all to a "Metzler" on the rear and a "Bridgestone" on the front?
Hey mvasil54 :waving: Im certainly far from "Guru" status so you probably wont take much heed of my mesg :crying:so for what it's worth my advice is, Dont mix the tyres on your :15red:just buy a matching Bridgestone for therear and then you wont be left guessing. :stumped:

:walker: :18red: :walker:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.