Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hi All,

having a porblem with my wing. When riding to work last Friday my bike just started to chug a bit and start missing. When first started up it it seems to be running on 3 pots, when it warms up and once over about 2500 - 3000rpm it clears, but if you go below 2500rpm its back to 3 pots. when runningon 4 pots above the 3000rpm the acceleration doesn't seem to be just as powerful. Any help would be greatly recieved. I use my wing nearly every day.A bit more info for you, it can be a bit smokey on the left side and it goes through about half a litre of oil a month (1000miles). I pulled the plug on the front left as you sit on the bike, this seems to be the one that's miss firing. The plug was a very light smoke colour.

Thanks

Peninsula Winger

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Did you try a new plug first? I'd do this and see how long I got before it started missing again. Spray WD40 on the plug leads while the engine is running (careful not to get it on the caps or it might flare up) and see if the cylinder kicks in. If it does then you have a bad lead.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
imported post

Half a litre of oil per 1000 miles seems a lot for a GL1200. You didn't say what mileage is on the engine, if it's high you might have worn pistone rings on that cylinder. If so a new plug will probably fix it for a while until it oils up again.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Half a liter per 1000 miles is a lot of oil for a 1200 to burn. It would be worthwhile to do a compression check and a real careful look for an oil leak. If it's burning that much oil it should be noticeable when running.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Hi Wingers little helpers,

Sorted the miss fire out. THanks for the tip on the spark plug. I got one and went round until the problem was sorted. Seemed to be a faulty plug. It wasn't the cylinder that I thought it was it was on the other side. The plug looked ok not too black. The oil burning porblem I will just have to sort out in the winter when I hope (If feeling brave enough!!) to take the engine out and look deeper.

Thanks again for all the help

PW

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.