1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Any particular model?

·
Administrator
28,071 Posts
If it is an 1800 you have to be sure when shifting to 5th, make sure the OD light comes on. I have had it happen on both my 1800s with no ill effects.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,854 Posts
usually a Ghost Shift is the result of not continuing to apply pressure on the shifter until well after the transmission has solidly gone into the next gear.

so, yes, it is usually the rider's fault when it happens.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,093 Posts
I have done the same thing on my '04 VTX 1800R... It's no ghost shift, the damn thing has a neutral spot between 4th and 5th... (and it has made the same clanking sounds you described if you're not careful getting back into gear). I'm usually very careful to ensure a positive shift is made to avoid this, but if it happens I hold the clutch in and make the shift to fifth again!

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Even on a 2012 you have to make sure it goes in all the way.

@Wingmaster Shamus.. Nice to see you are roaming around yet. I moved up a few years from my beige '88 that you so kindly led on the Tail of the Dragon years ago.

Reactions: Wingmaster Shamus

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
Its possible you just missed a gear but it's also possible that "ghost shifting" is beginning to show its ugly head and the trans might be in need of repair.

You might give Greg a call at "Just Wings" in Zypher Hills Florida and explain what is happening and he can offer his thoughts. He has repaired many a GW transmission for ghost shifting and is the resident expert on this issue...

Just Wings

Reactions: Pwhoever

·
Premium Member
1,093 Posts
Even on a 2012 you have to make sure it goes in all the way.

@Wingmaster Shamus.. Nice to see you are roaming around yet. I moved up a few years from my beige '88 that you so kindly led on the Tail of the Dragon years ago.
HaHaHa... I remember y'all! I went to V Twins after that year, VTX/Shadow bikes. No more camping though, (unless you count a cabin). Good to see you too!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts