1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24013

Rider Missing - Lolo Pass to W. Yellowstone
Donald Masters left Orofino, ID, Monday, August 31, headed for West Yellowstone and then on to Denver. He has not been seen or heard from since. We have reason to believe he may have gone missing Monday (he was due into Denver Wednesday). He was riding a black 2008 Goldwing, Colorado Plate #327-UTH.

If you are riding Lolo Pass, or anywhere between Missoula and W. Yellowstone, please be on the lookout for Donald and his bike. He's 62 years old, weighs about 175 and is about 5'9" tall. His bike would have been loaded with a fair amount of gear as he was on a 2+ week trip. If you have seen him or have information about him or his bike, please call the Clearwater County (ID) Sheriff's Department at (208) 476-4521.

This is a picture of him on the silver Goldwing he owned before getting the black 'Wing earlier this year:

Here's proposed route.

Attachments

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,838 Posts
imported post

Wow that's sad. Prayers forhim and his family. I hope this story has a happy ending.

John

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Hi, John.

It's now plastered all over many bike forums. I'm surprised it never got to here yet.
Also, I think the problem got handed to the Montana authorities. Either Missoula, or Lolo. I even wonder if he got "thugged". That's one of the bad parts of riding alone.

Youse guys have a very safe trip, ya hear. Wish I was going, Buttttttttt...........

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,838 Posts
imported post

Thanks Bob. Wish you were going too. I think it's going to be a great run.

Ride safe Friend!

John

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

ddrumman2004 wrote:
I guess everyone knows they found this missing rider....may he rest in peace.
OMG :shock:.........This topic was covered on this forum earlier, what I did't know was, the news that he was found.

Such a sad ending, and my thoughts are with his family and friends.

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,158 Posts
imported post

[align=center]Just caught this thread :shock: May He Rest in Peace :([/align]
[align=center]The details would be very much appreciated :([/align]

·
Administrator
57,520 Posts
imported post

Redwing,

Donald Masters went off a curve onto forest land. Front wheel jammed into an irrigation ditch, and apparently he departed from the bike and was found some distance away.

No one publicly has said anything about any results of an investigation in the accident.

He was found a little over a week after the accident by a couple of elk hunters.

·
Administrator
20,568 Posts

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,158 Posts
imported post

[align=center]Thank you both AZgl1500 and Flyone :clapper:[/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=center]Very sad accident :([/align]

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Redwing wrote:
[align=center]Thank you both AZgl1500 and Flyone :clapper:[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center]Very sad accident :([/align]
Me too
:leprechaun:

·
Administrator
57,520 Posts
imported post

I have added another post to Donald Master's story.

I mention there that at least, at a minimum, the family would have been spared from a very long, tortuous ordeal if Donald had been carrying a SPOT gps tracker that had the premium package subscription service.

That service offers Continuous tracking by gps and is displayed on a website for anyone to monitor.

One of our members did just that a few months ago when we watched him and his wife trekking thru some very remote country. We enjoyed it a lot.

Donald's family would have been spared a lot of wondering about "where is Donald?"

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
imported post

I was notified by a message from the Facebook page group that was started for him shortly after he went missing.

I apologize for not seeing the other thread.

I said a prayer for his family after I received the message.

Sad indeed!

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
I have added another post to Donald Master's story.

I mention there that at least, at a minimum, the family would have been spared from a very long, tortuous ordeal if Donald had been carrying a SPOT gps tracker that had the premium package subscription service.

That service offers Continuous tracking by gps and is displayed on a website for anyone to monitor.

One of our members did just that a few months ago when we watched him and his wife trekking thru some very remote country. We enjoyed it a lot.

Donald's family would have been spared a lot of wondering about "where is Donald?"
"Spot" on, AZ....... pun intended.......

I think you are very right; his family would have been spared a lot of heartache. Ocean-going boats have been carrying Epirbs for years for the same reason.....

·
Administrator
57,520 Posts
imported post

Just remembered that I have a few shots of that route still on the Photo Gallery.

Here is a sample of how Donald Master's route could have looked like, IF he had been using the SPOT in Continuous Mode.

Not only would they have known the route, and all the different turns he took, they would have known within the last 15-20 minutes of where he disappeared. Depending on exactly how the GPS was positioned when the bike stopped, it is possible they would have had a final fix exactly where the bike stopped. Because the SPOT is programmed to keep sending messages to the satellite until it gets an ACK signal back. Once that happens, it won't send anymore unless it moves a significant amount.

So, here is what the Rescuers might have been able to use to find him.

That is a lot more info than they could have had, which was the last place he used his credit card.

If you study that route enough, you will note from the sequence numbers that the biker went easterly and then doubled back towards home. which in this case was Vancouver, BC.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.