Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hello all 81gl1100 std

Stupid question has anyone come across plug wires that seem to work fine no load

but when you head down the road you get a hard miss pulled plugs found #3#2 were black tried ajusting pilot jet by the book no change

I am thinking that my wire could be bad or even possibly a coil pack

by the way at what rpm do you sync carbs

Thanks

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

Usually plug wires are good or bad, heat coould affect them, but I think you're looking more at a bad coil.

You must have a 4 cylinder bike ???

I' don't have the coil specs handy, but someone will.

Usually when you have a problem with a common source, it's best to start at the common point.

Once you've elimated the coil, we can help you further.

Oh, by the way, which year.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

I am by no means an expert since I have only had my GL110 (1980) 4 days, but I have gone over all systems. Cylinder 2 and 3 are are handled spark wise by both ignition coils. The right side coil looks after #1 and #2 front cylinders. The left hand coil looks after cylinders #3 and #4 rear set. Since you are fouled on 2 and 3 the common link could be the spark unit and/ or the gap size in the plugs, not to mention the carb set up. Did this situation just happen? Also check your air filter, choke, could be over rich. Possibly you have no advance as you increase RPM. You may want to inspect the mechanical and vacuum advance. Possibly vacuum leaks, verify the HT leads as they will break down under greater RPM, hope this helps. The likely hood of both ignition coils crapping out at the same time is remote, but the spark units could be overheating and losing their ability to direct the spark. If you had points I would suspect that the gap is too close, this sounds like the CDI, capacitors are having a tough time in charging so I would look at the spark units, idle for about 15 minutes and then touch these square aluminum boxesstacked on each other just in front of the Regulator. If they are too hot to handle, stop the bike, kill the power remove the battery leasds and clean all the connectors to each spark unit.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

do not know what i was thinking about 2&3 being the same coil

checked spark unis after about 30 min of running they were not to hot to hold

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.