Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

1981 GL1100 been left sitting since as near as I can figure 1988 (last year on license plate, anyway). Carbs gummed and varnished, fuel tank rusty... less that 8k showing on odometer.
As this was my first foray into the 1100 carbs I was very careful in keeping up with disassembly and kept parts separate. Upon reassembly, I came up short one vacuum piston spring (carb/cyl. #3), I had already noticed that the pilot screw assembly was missing the tiny flat washer between the spring and the o-ring, etc., giving the appearance that someone had been inside the carbs earlier.
As this was my first time to disassemble 1100's carbs and that the #3 was the second carb to take down, it is possible that I did not notice the spring missing at that time. It is also possible that despite all of my great care, I boinked the spring into parts unknown like the big dummy that I am! LOL
Question is.... Now what?? Look for a replacement spring... replace the carb... self flagellation.... ok, let's stick to the more productive, positive side. Can I get away with substituting another spring, if I happen to be lucky enough to find one?
Anyone have any clues of where I might look and/or what year models might be compatible?
Appreciate any and all help!
Thanks!

Don (the butterfingers!) :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
imported post

The vacuum pistons springs are very lightly balanced so I'd say you will need the proper one. The washer I wouldn't worry too much about.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Just be sure to replace the spring with one of the same pressure as wewilly states.

It wouldn't hurt if you located a spare parts carb as you could probably get the used carb cheaper that it would cost for a new spring from the Honda dealer.

Vic

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Heard that, guys!
Thanks for the thoughts! I have located a used spring from a local source. I'll try my luck with it, even though I found a new one at BikeBandit.com and it only lists for $12.76 US. I'm gonna' chance the used one as it appears to be in good shape and compares well to my other three vac. piston springs.
As far as the washer on the pilot screw, it comes with the kit from Sirius Consolidated online (Keyster KH-0387-N).
Always appreciate the insight!
Don

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Once theres no kinks in the used spring then it should be fine. They tend to last forever unless someone damages them when removing or installing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.