Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

To keep from having to go to the other site........;)

PLEASE CROSS-POST to forums where folks might be in the area......(It's already on ADV, Pashnit, ST-Owners, Concours, Harley CVO, MySuzuki, MagnaMotorcycles, BonnevilleOwnersClub, Sport-Touring.net, Beginnerbikers.org)From the Pashnit forum on 9/7/09:

Donald Masters left Orofino, ID, Monday, August 31, headed for West Yellowstone and then on to Denver. He has not been seen or heard from since. We have reason to believe he may have gone missing Monday (he was due into Denver Wednesday). He was riding a black 2008 Goldwing, Colorado Plate #327-UTH.If you are riding Lolo Pass, or anywhere between Missoula and W. Yellowstone, please be on the lookout for Donald and his bike. He's 62 years old, weighs about 175 and is about 5'9" tall. His bike would have been loaded with a fair amount of gear as he was on a 2+ week trip. If you have seen him or have information about him or his bike, please call the Clearwater County (ID) Sheriff's Department at 208-476-4521. His credit card shows his last gas fill-up in Lolo, MT on the afternoon of August 31.Everyone in the area of Lolo Pass please be on the look out for a possible crash site.Here's more info from the ST-Owners site along with links to the Pashnit forum:ST-Owners has put out a call for a search (and cross-posting of details).http://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72221Quote:The Plan:Start in West Yellowstone (Best Western)or Start in Lolo, MT (Mountain Town Coffee)Date - Saturday 9/12/2009 starting at 7:00 AMFollow the path in the map or any possible side tracks that a MC rider on a Wing might take as part of a normal ride.Search every possible 'get off' curve or questionable stretch of the route, please be safe. Please try to stay in groups of 3 to 5 bikes, take your time and try be safe yourself as we don't want to have any issues due to the search. If you are in a group, give each other some distance in case one of you sees something and needs to pull over unexpectedly. Bring binoculars.. if you pull off somewhere to look, use them to scan and cover more of the area and places not easily seen from the road.If you have any important information, please call the Clearwater County (ID) Sheriff's Department at (20 476-4521.Donald is riding a black 2008 Goldwing, Colorado Plate #327-UTHHere is a picture of Donald on a Siver goldwing, again he would be riding a BLACK wing not a silver one:

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Bill, thanks for posting that over here. Maybe some of the folks up that way going to Montrose will see this before they leave and keep a lookout for this feller.

Let's all pray to God for him and that he'll be found safe and sound.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Good job, guys.......

Red and CJ, Beemer John, and SuzukiDR Fred will be in the area, Saturday, on our way to Colorado...... Red and I to Montrose, the other two on the way through Montrose to Durango..... we will keep a lookout on Highway 95 in Idaho, and then 21 through the Sawtooth and Craters of The Moon, and on to Bear Lake, but hopefully he will be found by then. Lots of places in Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming to fall off the road, and disappear...... don't ride alone, guys.... or get one of those new personal locators. Ease your familie's minds......

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
imported post

I gotta echo what CJ said, I'm looking for a supplier for personal location devices now. Havent been able to put a deal together yet for my site, but I will. I think most cell phones have locators in them, but it's a good idea to check your settings to be sure it's on. Even if you are not able to get to your phone, if someone calls it, it will give your location, you guy's may want to check into that until you/we can get a line on the other devices

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

We have people go missing here from time-to-time. But mostly hikers on the Appalachian trail. An older gent was lost for several days just recently but was found in good health. Hopefully this rider will be found alive and well. My prayers will be with him and his family.

Bernie

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
imported post

I'm faxing this info toour flight crew in Montrose, We have a helicopter based in Montrose at the Hospital.We arenot search and rescue, but they do fly around low and slow.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

The Big Dog wrote:
I gotta echo what CJ said, I'm looking for a supplier for personal location devices now. Havent been able to put a deal together yet for my site, but I will. I think most cell phones have locators in them, but it's a good idea to check your settings to be sure it's on. Even if you are not able to get to your phone, if someone calls it, it will give your location, you guy's may want to check into that until you/we can get a line on the other devices
My brother had a PLB when he was flying bush way up north, there is no cell phone coverage, and it would send signals via satellite if he went down somewhere.

My wife and I have Sprint cell phones. We subscribe to the Sprint Family Locator service. It lets her, either on a web browser or on her phone, find my exact position, and vice versa. Eases her mind greatly when I'm riding back from Canada or someplace, she can see that I am in fact still on the road and moving.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

Sure hope he turns up OK.

The personal locator is on my Christmas list this year along with the computer interface. It would be a great family present as I am out and about many times alone. SPOT isthe only one I have heard of.

Longboater,

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
imported post

Great news, Iam in contact witha U.S. supplier who is very excited for us to add there products to my website, just trying to beat him up on the price so we can offer them 1 at a time for the same price as 1000 :D So far, I think I can beat most other retailer prices. :clapper:

Give us a week and they will be available for all.

I wish the missing rider had one, our prayers are with him and his family

·
Texas Boy
278 Posts
imported post

Big Dog, if you aren't able to get a good deal I know that the SPOT service offers a discount to AMA members.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
American Motorcycle Association

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
imported post

If I cant get a good enough deal, I will just put miss Jami on the phone with him :DOne way or another, were going to offer them within a week. Sorry it took somthing like this to get me off my A....... Butt

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,610 Posts
imported post

I suspected, but thought of American Medical Association.
I'm not a member of either, so it don't matter. Besides, I keep my business among family members.

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

My wife and I have Sprint cell phones. We subscribe to the Sprint Family Locator service. It lets her, either on a web browser or on her phone, find my exact position, and vice versa. Eases her mind greatly when I'm riding back from Canada or someplace, she can see that I am in fact still on the road and moving.
DO NOT TELL MY WIFE ABOUT THIS!!!!!!!!:action::action::action::action::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::action::action:

But seriously I hope he is found safe and alive that area he's in has some wicked drop offs!!!

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

Just to update you all on this. We are trying to put together a Search Group for Donald. I looks as if some of you will be in the area. I hope you can hep out. We have a 300 plus mile area to search and he is over 10 days missing.

If any of you are on Facebook, please join the group: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=135807631572#/group.php?gid=135807631572

We are also on the ST-Owners forum and Pashnit forum. Links can be found on the Facebook Group for Donald.

Please help us spread the word and build a search team to find him.

He is One of Us!

Larry Jensen
New York

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
imported post

GSMacLean wrote:
The Big Dog wrote:
My brother had a PLB when he was flying bush way up north, there is no cell phone coverage, and it would send signals via satellite if he went down somewhere.

There is such an "eperb" they use them on fishing boats or any ocean going vessel. I do not know how much they cost though.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.