Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've used mmo in the fuel on every bike I've owened with great success. I keep reading about some people draing the oil level down and putting a quart of it in the oil and running the bike for around two hundred miles or so before changing the oil. Has any one done it and what is thereason and what was the results? Can it do any harm to the seals or other things like the clutch?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5 Posts
imported post

Hi Boomer,

I have used the Mmo in both the fuel and motor oil to clean things up. Mmo did get rid of and annoying knock. On tear down this summer both heads and valve train were just like new. I have only about 95,000 miles or 148,000 kms on my 84 asp now. Remember to change the oil at about 200-350 miles if adding to the engine.

Snoops:clapper:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,191 Posts
imported post

if  the oil and MMO is changed, at 200 to 300, to fresh oil ...it appears to do no damage .. and brings out an amazing amount of Gunge... but you should NOT  do this  unless you have a cleaning reason .... Does the starter pawl miss ?  Do you have valve clatter ?    It is a thinner "oil" , and the recommendations are not to  run it very hard during those 200 mil....  ...However, in the gas on a frequent basis... does keep those carbs clean.... so you can add it as you wish...  and MMO is really just ATF fluid... so if $$$ is a problem... just buy some of that... SilverDave /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I'm not having any problems with the starter or noise I just saw the posts and with 95k on the bike wondered if it would be a good idea.,
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
280 Posts
imported post

how much atf fluid would you recommned in a tank of fuel?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,931 Posts
imported post

SilverDave wrote:
if the oil and MMO is changed, at 200 to 300, to fresh oil ...it appears to do no damage .. and brings out an amazing amount of Gunge... but you should NOT do this unless you have a cleaning reason .... Does the starter pawl miss ? Do you have valve clatter ? It is a thinner "oil" , and the recommendations are not to run it very hard during those 200 mil.... ...However, in the gas on a frequent basis... does keep those carbs clean.... so you can add it as you wish... and MMO is really just ATF fluid... so if $$$ is a problem... just buy some of that... SilverDave/forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

Are you sh---ing me? Is that what MMO really is. I do have valve clatter and I am coming up to an oil change, so now may be a good time to dump a litre and add a litre of MMO/ ATF to the old fart. Man, I would sure like to have some concensus on that one. Not that I don't trust you SilverDave--I do.

How muchATF to a tank of gas, and how often. I have not seen MMO in any local store- or for that matter Seafoam either. This would be a revelation for me.

Thanks Ken
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,191 Posts
imported post

 Firstly ..  In your province , Canadian Tire  SHOULD carry MMO... if not , head over to Maine ...   and Users of Tractors, Bikes, and cars have used it in gas (2 glugs) and in oil (sparingly .. drain after 200 miles ) for years...  I am not a chemist... no .. scratch that .. I was a chemist  in the 60's... but I have never recently analyzed MMO.... but I have seen that comment for years , on the GWRRA  site... that MMO is  an additive rich ATF... but  that the primary cleaning  is from the ATF... Find someone else in your local GWRRA club,  and get another opinion...                                  or         wait around here, and you will CERTAINLY get at least 4 more opinions  .............................. as to the gas... apparently Some of the Carb / injector cleaners , like STP, are very harsh on rubber gaskets in older carb models...   MMO is supposed to be a gentler  cleaner, and two glugs  per motorcycle tank   DO help... at least on my lawn mower, bike, and small tractor  (all carb driven) they do .. SilverDave /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif                                                                                             It is also well known that MMO acts as a deer alert, and repels Bunnies, if they have pancakes on their heads....  and there's the real point... should you take ANY advice from a site that has  11,000 views,and 1200 posts on deer alerts ??   Others must think we are all bonkers !!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
147 Posts
imported post

I heard that there will soon be white MMO to go with fish entrees - the red will stay around and is best suited for fine beef dishes and Italian of any kind.

I think I posted before that my uncle used to own a service garage and he swore by the healing and preventive effects of high detergent ATF. He used to do engine cleanup by subbing a quart of ATF during an oil change and running it 1000 miles or so...........and he actually used ATF to wash his hands at the end of the workday. I don't THINK he showered with it.



Bob
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,931 Posts
imported post

SilverDave wrote:
Firstly .. In your province , Canadian Tire SHOULD carry MMO... if not , head over to Maine ... and Users of Tractors, Bikes, and cars have used it in gas (2 glugs) and in oil (sparingly .. drain after 200 miles ) for years... I am not a chemist... no .. scratch that .. I was a chemist in the 60's... but I have never recently analyzed MMO.... but I have seen that comment for years , on the GWRRA site... that MMO is an additive rich ATF... but that the primary cleaning is from the ATF... Find someone else in your local GWRRA club, and get another opinion... or wait around here, and you will CERTAINLY get at least 4 more opinions ..............................as to the gas... apparently Some of the Carb / injector cleaners , like STP, are very harsh on rubber gaskets in older carb models... MMO is supposed to be a gentler cleaner, and two glugs per motorcycle tank DO help... at least on my lawn mower, bike, and small tractor (all carb driven) they do ..SilverDave/forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif It is also well known that MMO acts as a deer alert, and repels Bunnies, if they have pancakes on their heads.... and there's the real point... should you take ANY advice from a site that has 11,000 views,and 1200 posts on deer alerts ?? Others must think we are all bonkers !!!

I found MMO at two CTC stores today. Even after two long time employees told me they had never heard of it. Marvel Mystery Oil--in a bright red bottle whose contents are 946 ml. Gee, that must be a US quart:baffled:

Gonna give it a try.
 

·
Postpubescent member
Joined
·
36,382 Posts
imported post

It's a good hair dressing too!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,491 Posts
imported post

boomer wrote:
I've used mmo in the fuel on every bike I've owened with great success. I keep reading about some people draing the oil level down and putting a quart of it in the oil and running the bike for around two hundred miles or so before changing the oil. Has any one done it and what is thereason and what was the results? Can it do any harm to the seals or other things like the clutch?
Boomer, it's pretty well a proven fact that adding MMO to your oil, then running the engine for a few hundred miles, then draining the oil & changing it will quiet the engine for a while after the oil change...

I will be willing to bet that just before an oil change is due that rapping on the fuel tank lid right in the center below the key hole using the center knuckle of your left hand, then riding the bike for another 300 miles, then changing the oil will also quiet the engine for a while after the oil change..

I would also venture to say that draining the old oil first, then installing new oil with a quart of MMO, then riding a few hundred miles, then draining that nice new oil & re-installing the old oil will bring any engine noise you had right back again..

Here's the catch-- the old oil at change time has probably sheared down to some-where's in the 10W15 to 10W20 range & the new oil that is installed is probably something like 10W40 or 20W50.. You don't have to be an oracle to predict that outcome..


Put some MMO in your oil just before a changeif it makes you feel better as it sure won't hurt anything but I doubt it has anymore cleaning action than a good quality multi-weight oil does..


Twisty
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,931 Posts
imported post

Twisty, you are simple taking the mystique out of that stuff. How then do you explain how several people have drained out black gunky stuff after using the MMO, whereas previously, without the MMO, the oil drained out fairly clean?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,491 Posts
imported post

Hawker22 wrote:
How then do you explain how several people have drained out black gunky stuff after using the MMO, whereas previously, without the MMO, the oil drained out fairly clean?
Hawker, without an oil analysis test I can't say for sure.. A guess would be that seeing as that MMO isn't developed or blended for use as a motor oil it has a pretty high present NOAK volatility score so breaks down under heat & pressure way before motor oil would & it also probably has a very low flash point (that is why it can be used as a fuel additive) so would tend to evaporate off the liquid part & leave a carbonized residue in the oil.. More than likely the oil was just getting black to begin with.. I guess if a person had some handy they could put a little MMO in a small tin & place it on a hot plate, then do the same with motor oil & see how quickly the MMO turns black compared to motor oil..

Twisty
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
270 Posts
imported post

If you MMO as an engine flush . . . Why not just use a TRUE engine flush product? I have purchased several old bikes over the years and using a good quality flush seems to - surprise - flush the crud out nicely. Just my 2 cents

PS - I have used MMO in the fuel seems to lub the carburetor slides - could be my imagination

Mike
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,491 Posts
imported post

mjohnson wrote:
If you MMO as an engine flush . . . Why not just use a TRUE engine flush product? I have purchased several old bikes over the years and using a good quality flush seems to - surprise - flush the crud out nicely. Just my 2 cents

PS - I have used MMO in the fuel seems to lub the carburetor slides - could be my imagination

Mike
Mike, you have to be very careful on using a strong or harsh aggressive crankcase flushing agent on the older Wings.. Those generator stators are none to hardy to begin with & have a rather poor protective coating on the OEMstator windings. Anything that is aggressive enough to remove crankcase sludge & varnishhas a good chance of also damaging the stator winding protection & stator shorting can result..

Twisty
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,931 Posts
imported post

So you are saying that the dark sludge coming out after an MMO flush could be the MMO itself. Man, does the plot thicken. I just read the label on the bottle of MMO and it claims to do a whole bunch of good things to the inners of an engine when added to the oil. If it breaks down like you suggest, would the makers of it not have been sued by this time(since 1923) Guess I will put off using it in my engine until I hear some more about it.

If one were to keep very close track of the oil level and noted if it actually lowered during the 250 mile period of the flush, then your "liquid evaporation or burn off" of the MMO could easily be verified.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,491 Posts
imported post

Hawker22 wrote:
So you are saying that the dark sludge coming out after an MMO flush could be the MMO itself. Man, does the plot thicken. I just read the label on the bottle of MMO and it claims to do a whole bunch of good things to the inners of an engine when added to the oil. If it breaks down like you suggest, would the makers of it not have been sued by this time(since 1923) Guess I will put off using it in my engine until I hear some more about it.

If one were to keep very close track of the oil level and noted if it actually lowered during the 250 mile period of the flush, then your "liquid evaporation or burn off" of the MMO could easily be verified.
Hawker, lets look at this form another angle.. If an engine is sludged up inside there is just no way a modern detergent oil will go 2000-3000 miles & come out of that engineclean. SO, if the previous oil changes are dropping clean oil & adding MMO allows it to drop out black & gummy looking where's the black coming from?

Twisty
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,931 Posts
imported post

twisty wrote:
Hawker22 wrote:
So you are saying that the dark sludge coming out after an MMO flush could be the MMO itself. Man, does the plot thicken. I just read the label on the bottle of MMO and it claims to do a whole bunch of good things to the inners of an engine when added to the oil. If it breaks down like you suggest, would the makers of it not have been sued by this time(since 1923) Guess I will put off using it in my engine until I hear some more about it.

If one were to keep very close track of the oil level and noted if it actually lowered during the 250 mile period of the flush, then your "liquid evaporation or burn off" of the MMO could easily be verified.
Hawker, lets look at this form another angle.. If an engine is sludged up inside there is just no way a modern detergent oil will go 2000-3000 miles & come out of that engineclean. SO, if the previous oil changes are dropping clean oil & adding MMO allows it to drop out black & gummy looking where's the black coming from?

Twisty

Mornin Twisty: I have not yet used MMOand am only trying to understand why some people who have used it, claim that it does in fact, clean the engine where regular detergent oils would not. "Where's the black coming from" Could it be possible that the MMO will clean a bit better than the detergent oil and would therefore take off sludge and varnish that the regular oil missed, causing the drain to come out dirtier than the regular oil drain?

I am not trying to be argumentative, I am simply trying to get to the answer. How about we get some past users of MMO to chime in. If it proves to be no better than regular oil for cleaning, then I will not use it for that purpose. But as usual, it will be a subjective issue. Some do, some don't
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
126 Posts
imported post

MY 76 1000 was burning oil at the rate of a litre every 100 miles ,the local honda mechanic felt that the oil ring was stuck in #4 cylinder because the bike has sat around for over 6 years,I tried 3 different products that claimed to clean the engine internals and nothing worked.then it was suggested on here to try mmo.I had nothing to lose as I couldn,t drive the bike the way it was

So I bought the mmo drained my oil out,put fresh oil and filter and a litre of mmo in it,drove it 250 miles and changed the oil,IT was black like it had 3000 miles on it.within 25 miles of doing this change the smoke dropped back considerable,I have put almost 2000 miles on the bike since,and used about 2 litres of oil,it is still using a bit of oil,smokes quite a bit until it warms up and then it is good
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top