Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my 94 1500 Aspy for about 3 years and it has 51,000+ miles. I have always used Rotella 15-40 in most of my bikes for years. However, my Aspy since I've had it has always had some clutch chatter on takeoff after it was good and hot. I got a bunch of Mobil Delvac 1300 super when it was on sale as I have used it in my PSD before with good results. At my last oil change I used it in the bike instead of the rotella as I had so much of it. You guessed it, The clutch won't chatter now and I've tried it many times including high speed runs in hot weather. Now I'm not sayin one oil is better than the other as I've used them both in my truck for years or trying to start any kind of an oil thread, Just passing this on as my experience.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,285 Posts
Recently Delvac had a $5 per gallon mail in rebate, limit of 5 gallons. I use it and The Delo and have had excellent results with both. I am well stocked due to sales/rebates!

·
Premium Member
28,832 Posts
I have used the DELO400 15X40 in my Wings going on 5 years now thanks to a recommendation from people on here. I buy my oil filters from Cyclemax for around $5.00 and usually get 4 to 5 at a time (Makes the shipping not hurt). I wouldn't use any other oil these days. The Wing shifts better and is quieter all around.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,390 Posts
I had the same clutch chatter when I used Castrol in my 1200. Just when it was hot, but that was enough to keep me from using it again. Some bikes just don't seem to like certain oils or fuels, etc.

I now have Rotella in mine and don't seem to be having any clutch issues. However, after trying the Delo and Rotella oils, I will be going back to Valvoline.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
I have had my 94 1500 Aspy for about 3 years and it has 51,000+ miles. I have always used Rotella 15-40 in most of my bikes for years. However, my Aspy since I've had it has always had some clutch chatter on takeoff after it was good and hot. I got a bunch of Mobil Delvac 1300 super when it was on sale as I have used it in my PSD before with good results. At my last oil change I used it in the bike instead of the rotella as I had so much of it. You guessed it, The clutch won't chatter now and I've tried it many times including high speed runs in hot weather. Now I'm not sayin one oil is better than the other as I've used them both in my truck for years or trying to start any kind of an oil thread, Just passing this on as my experience.
Interesting. Mine is doing the exact same thing. The takeoff when it is cold is wonderful. After it's hot, it shudders or chatters right at the very end when I release the clutch. And it's not near as smooth. I have been using Delo 400 in mine.

Are you using 15w40 Mobil Delvac? I've never heard of that type before. Where do you get it? I will probably try that on my next oil change and see if it's any different.

·
Premium Member
28,832 Posts
You know the people who recommended OIL to me said it depended on the Bike the 1500 worked best with the DELO 400, The 1800 needed the Synthitic Rotela to run it's best. I'm sure they recommended some other OIL for both the 1200and the 1100 but I don't remember what they did recommend.

·
I think I was wrong once!
393 Posts
I have ran amsoil m/c oil, synthetic castrol m/c oil and synthetic mobil 1 m/c oil in Jap bikes for years and never had any problems and they even seemed to help keep the air cooled engine cooler....

BUT.......

Last summer I put Mobil 1 m/c oil into my gl1200 and then started a small wor in this forum about oil's it got so bad I asked the moderator to delete the thread! :ssshh: but the GL seemed to like it fine!

This year I tryed saving some $$ and put some Delo 400LE and my 86 GL1200a seems to love it! After about 3k miles I start hearing the shift "clunk" lowder so that tells me it's time to change the oil again! On my third o/c with Delo and will probably stick with it in this old girl.;)

Oh I also use Napa oil filter.:bow:

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
88 Wing had clutch chatter with the 5w40 Shell Rotella Synthetic(Jaso MA) and Shell rep said it would work great. No chatter at all with the Delo.:)

·
Administrator
28,067 Posts
Since we are at it anyway, On the KLR forum the consensus on oil seems to be delo 400 so I put it in mine, now my clutch sticks on the first shift into gear cold. They say that is normal but it didn't do it before the change, wish I knew what the PO used but lost his number. My 1800 likes the rotella 10/30 T5, my 83 GL1100 liked castrol 20/50, my other 1100s didn't seem to care as long as it is oily.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting. Mine is doing the exact same thing. The takeoff when it is cold is wonderful. After it's hot, it shudders or chatters right at the very end when I release the clutch. And it's not near as smooth. I have been using Delo 400 in mine.

Are you using 15w40 Mobil Delvac? I've never heard of that type before. Where do you get it? I will probably try that on my next oil change and see if it's any different.
All the Walmarts, farm stores, etc. have it around here. It's Mobil's dino diesel oil. I have used it off and on for years along with Rotella T. It's in a black bottle and called Mobil Delvac 1300 super. It's generally cheaper than Rotella. Like most have said it probably depends on the bike as I don't think one is really better than the other. I've used both in my Ford PSD and it don't know the difference.

·
X-Roughneck
1,229 Posts
I had the same clutch chatter when I used Castrol in my 1200. Just when it was hot, but that was enough to keep me from using it again. Some bikes just don't seem to like certain oils or fuels, etc.

I now have Rotella in mine and don't seem to be having any clutch issues. However, after trying the Delo and Rotella oils, I will be going back to Valvoline.

Same here.That's all i use in everything,for the last 35 years.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,949 Posts
Oh well! :waving: Both the 1500 and the 1000 love Castrol 20/50. Quieter running and smoother quieter shifts. No clutch chatter at all. I tried Rotella for one week in the 1000. Drained it out and still using it for the lawn mower.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.