Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The mobile phone which i currently use in the car and on the 1500 is gone out of production. It is a Nokia 6310i type.I want to get a new phone but this means having to purchase two car kits as the new generation of phone will not fit into the old style cradle. I believe that there is now going to become available a converter kit that will allow you to use the new type phone without having to change the complete kit. Does anyone know about Bluetooth :grinner:? Does it work ok on a bike? Is there for and against this type? Any information or experience's would be appreciated

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

My Blackberry is bluetooth. I use it with a Plantronics bluetooth headset.
It can't deal too well with the ambient noise and wind noise but at least I can tell when a call or email is happening. Of course it's perfect while stopped.

--
Rudy

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

When I ride the wing, I hide from the cell phone.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
imported post

I have Nokia 6230 and bluetooth car kit in my wing, works perfectly. Btw there is a small company in Finland which is making integration kit between standard car kit and goldwing intercom. If you are interested please contact them [email protected]

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Not sure how it works with you guys, but if youhappen to be on contract like I am, have you rung your provider, I can upgrade my phone every year if I want, usually at little or no cost, depending on what "gizmos" it has on it. I usually have to get a kit for the new one, but the provider does a cheep deal especially if you bleat enough at them. I happen to be with 02 and they are pretty good. Just ring the customer help line on your bill.

If you are on pay as you go, then ignore my ramblings, but barter with a shop, they all want your business.

Pete

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
imported post

wingdo, I seen a cradle converter on a forum recently and I think it was right here. It allowed the new type 13 pin phones to be used in the older type cradle. If I remember where I seen this I will post the info.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

When i ride my neighbours :18red:i dont want to hear or see a mobile phone, a CB radio, a CD player, a Radio etc etc.:whip: All i want to hear is the purr of that 1800 engine. :weightlifter:

:bash: :18red: :bash:

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Hey "RedWing" the pur of 1800cc's that's (36) 50's your riding at once, good trick !

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

I just bought a new 05 GL1800. A local company wants 130.00 US to hook my cell phone into the intercom system. Anyone know who does it cheaper?

J.:grinner:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
When i ride my neighbours :18red:i dont want to hear or see a mobile phone, a CB radio, a CD player, a Radio etc etc.:whip: All i want to hear is the purr of that 1800 engine. :weightlifter:
You got that right! I carry my cell phone in the trunk (boot). I don't want to be called, just want to be able to call out if the bike decides to quit.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

I think that Kennedy Electronics makes all sorts of adapters for plugging and playing your cell into a honda radio / headset ../forums/images/emoticons/big_grin.gif. http://www.wingstuff.com/pgroup_list.php?categoryid=29&inc=electronics&type=mfg but I agree with others here  ... You can be way TOO connected./forums/images/emoticons/tongue.gif. and if talking on a cell is  a  hazard for a car driver .. then that goes triple for a motorcycle./forums/images/emoticons/shock.gif.. I would NOT want to be digging into a corner, trying to pick a better line, and hear an insistand ring in my ear ... I carry mine in my vest pocket, on Vibrate... (used to carry it in the jeans pocket.. but that was WAY too distracting/forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/goofygrin.gif)..... and stop safetly , in the next hour  or so, and use the missed call feature... It fits with my GPS philosophy ... which got me safetly to and from the Peace river country ,and to Alaska ,and back...  My GPS is a map($2), in a tank holder, and a digital hall effect compass($22)../forums/images/emoticons/confused.gif. works really well ....... gets me there, and back  LOL SilverDave /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

I would like my phone linked to the intercom, because I need to be able to answer it for my work, but I am not keen enough on the idea to pay the prices that the firms mentioned want. I will stick to the pulling over method for now I think!

Pete

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
imported post

Pete,

Not sure if I've got your drift properly; if I've not, just ignore this.

If you want to have your mobile integrated into your bike system, try this guy:

Stuart Hall 07854 340590, or 01803 552792, or 07989 955012. Lives in Paignton, Devon and is member of GWOCGB.

I have a mobile phone interface which terminates with a jack-plug which inserts into a small adaptor which then plugs into your phone. If someone rings me it self-answers after one ring and you then converse with the caller without having to touch anything. When caller cuts off, your phone automatically reverts to stand-by. Sorry, I can't remember price.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

colbee wrote:
Pete,

Not sure if I've got your drift properly; if I've not, just ignore this.

If you want to have your mobile integrated into your bike system, try this guy:

Stuart Hall 07854 340590, or 01803 552792, or 07989 955012. Lives in Paignton, Devon and is member of GWOCGB.

I have a mobile phone interface which terminates with a jack-plug which inserts into a small adaptor which then plugs into your phone. If someone rings me it self-answers after one ring and you then converse with the caller without having to touch anything. When caller cuts off, your phone automatically reverts to stand-by. Sorry, I can't remember price.
that is brilliant, sounds just the ticket. I will deffinately give him a call. Thanks for that one.

I don't like having to be tied to the phone and it doesn't go on holiday with us, but if I missed a call from a customer wanting me to go and do a few £££ worth of work, I would be a bit miffed!!:goofygrin:

Pete

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
imported post

Pete,

While I think on, Stuart Hall's instructions include (or used to include) details of how to make a bracket for mounting the phone on the bike. I didn't take that route; I have a weatherproofzip-fasten pouch (can store papers/maps etc)which velcro's on top of your dashboard. I routed the cable from the mobile-phone interface (which in my case lives in the left glovebox), out through the left mirror housing and onto the dash. Plug into phone, put phone in pouch and close zip. The beauty of this method (for me) is that it requires no brains or expertise - otherwise I would have been unable to do it, you see.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Yep, no brain method would suit me just fine if I couldn't get my head round the bracket idea!:goofygrin:

Nice one Colbee.

Pete

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

You know, it always seems to me that we backward Yanks in America are always the last to get the good stuff. I've even used the Baehr (German made and REALLY expensive) intercom on my Honda Shadow and it still doesn't answer the phone correctly. More often than not I notice I missed a call by looking at the phone and then have to hit Send to get it. A device that answers after one ring and just connects me would be great. I would even stop arguing with the wife over the intercom for that kind of service.

J.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

I bought this interface from Stewart Hall at the UK Treffen three years ago,without the jack plug thing because he had ran out of them. When I got home I was unable to purchase it here and after repeated unsucessful call to him I had to abandon it.

Bad Experience

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

wingdo wrote:
I bought this interface from Stewart Hall at the UK Treffen three years ago,without the jack plug thing because he had ran out of them. When I got home I was unable to purchase it here and after repeated unsucessful call to him I had to abandon it.

Bad Experience
Have you tried Maplin, the online shop, for the jack plug, they do an amazing array of electrical/ electronic plugs and sockets.

Pete

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

I would say that you shouldn't even think about trying to talk on a cell while riding. It's dangerous enough out there without them.

Now, they have found that hands-free is still very dangerous:

This is from: http://www.fortmorgantimes.com/Stories/0,1413,164~8309~3031854,00.html

A study published in the British Medical Journal has found that using a cell phone -- even a hands-free one -- while driving quadruples the risk of getting into a crash with serious injuries.
Research by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety suggests that using a hands-free device instead of a handheld phone while behind the wheel will not necessarily improve safety. Either phone type increases the risk of a crash, according to one of the study's authors.
The study found that handheld devices were very slightly riskier than hands-free ones, but the difference was not statistically significant, The Associated Press reported.
It also found there is no difference in the risk posed to male and female drivers or to drivers older and younger than 30.
More motorists are using cell phones on the road than ever, and lawmakers are grappling for ways to reduce driver distraction.

Talking on handheld cell phones while driving is banned in New York, New Jersey and the District of Columbia. In Connecticut, drivers will have to use hands-free devices beginning Oct. 1. Some cities require hands-free devices in automobiles.
Eight states -- not Colorado -- prevent local governments from restricting cell phone use in motor vehicles, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.
The study found injurious crashes were four times as likely when drivers were using cell phones.
The researchers used cell phone records to compare phone use within 10 minutes before an actual crash with cell use by the same driver during the previous week.
Each driver's cell phone usage during a 10-minute interval prior to the accident was compared with use during at least one earlier period when no accident occurred. Each driver, in effect, served as his or her own control group in the study.
The institute had tried to conduct the study in the United States but could not get access to records from phone companies. The phone records were available in Western Australia where the study was conducted and where handheld phone use has been banned while driving since 2001.
Weather was not an issue in the crashes with nearly 75 percent occurring in clear conditions. About nine out of 10 crashes involved other vehicles, and more than half of the injured drivers said their crashes happened within 10 minutes of the start of the trip.
There is no law in Colorado which prohibits using a cell phone -- either a handheld or hands-free one -- but statistics like those discovered through the study underscore the wisdom of stopping if you are driving and you just must make -- or take -- a phone call.
We all know using a cell phone while driving is distracting, to say the least, and the study bears out the fact drivers are four times more likely to have an accident while chatting on the cell phone.
The message is clear: Keep your cell phone in your pocket, on your belt or in the seat beside you while you're driving, and if you just can't wait to make a call, pull over, stop and lessen the danger to yourself -- and other drivers.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.