Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hi all,

I had a problem with the throttle cable today on my 1981 GL1100 standard (unfaired), on inspection the pull cable had jammed up somehow, I finally managed to get it relocated at the carb end but discovered it was failing at the throttle end and need replacing.

I've just had a look for a replacement but I'm unsure which one to order, there seems to be a different part number for the Aspencade but the cable looks identical, I've not owned the bike for long and its possible this didn't start life as an unfaired machine.

To add to my confusion if I look at the label on the headstock it has 1982 on it in big letters yet the bike has been registered in the UK as 1981, can someone help me in clarifying exactly which model it is ?

Also does anyone know how to fit the cable without either swearing at it for 2 hrs and loosing most of the skin off my hands, or removing the petrol tank I'd be grateful !!

·
Administrator
57,667 Posts
I edited your post to clarify a few words.
it appeared to me, that you used a cellphone, and that nasty beast changed some of your wording.... mine does all the time :(

·
Administrator
24,508 Posts
It could have been an 82 aspencade or interstate or standard it will have either an A, I or nothing at all on the tag after GL1100. Doesn't matter, the cables will fit either.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It could have been an 82 aspencade or interstate or standard it will have either an A, I or nothing at all on the tag after GL1100. Doesn't matter, the cables will fit either.
Thanks Dave,

The head stock label is below:-

It seems a bit odd that this bike, which I know was once in the USA got registered in the UK as 1981, I assume I'm right in thinking it must be a 1982 based on this label.

I have a Honda parts manual and it does show a specific Aspencade cable ,17910-MB9-670) rather than the 17910-463-600 it shows for the standard but post 1982 it goes to just the MB9 version. Looking at the pictures online they all look the same but they don't quote the length.

The online provider I've used recently has the MB9 ones in stock so I'll order one and hope for the best, I could get a non original one for half the price but they don't seem to be available with the chrome elbow and given I've gone ahead and removed the petrol tank (rear wheel, tail unit etc.) to get at the linkage I best go with a decent part!!

·
1,599 Posts
In my country the registration papers tells the date for the first registration , and SOME calls that the year on the bike .
An 1982 model was sold from apr. September/Oktober 1981 and could wery well be registered in 1981 .
BUT when ordering parts you are supposed to use the MODEL year ( on US specs. bikes marked with an label on the steering head ).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In my country the registration papers tells the date for the first registration , and SOME calls that the year on the bike .
An 1982 model was sold from apr. September/Oktober 1981 and could wery well be registered in 1981 .
BUT when ordering parts you are supposed to use the MODEL year ( on US specs. bikes marked with an label on the steering head ).
Thanks Smeden, I've only just received the registration papers but they only indicate that the bike was first registered in the UK in August this year and that the year of manufacture was declared as 1981. I've looked through everything else I have and there is very little from it's previous life in the USA apart from the original owners handbook which is printed in 1981 but has '82 on the from cover which matches what you're suggesting.

It makes sense looking at some information elsewhere that its a 1982 GL1100 model C/IC/DC/AC confirmed by the fact it does have self cancelling indicators, something I've never had on a bike before! I'm sure with a little further digging I can work out what letter variant it is and better than that in the Honda parts list I have the throttle cable is listed as interchangeable with the Aspencade for the 1982 but for some reason not for the 1981.

I've gone ahead and ordered the one from the supplier I'm using that is marked up as Aspencade as it has the 17910-MB9-670 part number that according to the Honda book should fit both ......we'll see:)

·
Administrator
24,508 Posts
The manufacture date is on your VIN tag, 10/1981.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts