Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I am looking for a new modular helmet for my wife and possibly myself. I have been reading threads and other online info, but I haven’t been able to decide so I’m asking you for help. We currently have a set of ½ helmets and a set of open face helmets. We have J & M headsets in the open face set. We tend not to wear them when it’s hot, but I don’t think the vents do anything on them. I have never felt any air movement inside the helmets.

Here are the things that are important to me.
· Modular design with easy operation
· Good for rider buffeting
· Good Ventilation
· Head set friendly
· Color match to bike would be nice (no wild color design)
· Price is a factor, but not #1

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
imported post

Hey Folks!

I can tell you a little about my experience with helmets. I did a lot of research and was convinced that Modular was the way to go... I bought a Nolan Ncom. I assure you I have NEVER worn a helemt that was so HOT or uncomfortable in my life.

Now I have always been a full face guy, I wanted the best of both worlds and thought Modular would give me that.I was wrong.

The helmets are off balance when the front is up... when you stop the first thing you are inclined to do is to put the front up and then take your helemt off. well if you set it down with the front up it will ROLL and I mean off of almost anything!!!!. The ease of operation to raise the front is kinda cool but i found when you are riding and it is time to bring the from down you have to slam it to get it to lock into place.

I have bought a nicer open face unit since then, still have my older full face for the winter when being hot will help me,I HIGHLY suggest you guys try and find a modualr to try out BEFORE spending aymoney for one. If you DO find one that works well with good ventilation and is comfortable please PM me or post back because I would love to have one that works as discribed.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,841 Posts
imported post

I highly concur on trying them out first. As I just posted on another thread, heads and helmets vary widely and what is comfortable for one person may not be for another. Go to your local dealers & MC shops and try them on. You will likely find that one size that fits in one helmet may not be the right size in a different helmet, or even the same brand but a different model or year. Wear it around the store for a little while. If it's the least bit uncomfortable in the store, it will be magnified when you wear it for hours on end while riding, and being uncomfortable sucks.

John

·
Premium Member
339 Posts

·
Administrator
27,770 Posts
imported post

I have an HJC IS-MAX. The wind noise is godawful, I have done some things to reduce it but still a lot noisier than my open face KBC. The ventilation is pretty good though and it is comfortable, on my head anyway. It has a built in flip down sun shade which is pretty much useless, I just gave up and wear my sun glasses. Wish I had a good answer but this is it.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
imported post

had a KBC modular and it was terribly constructed,but I liked the modular part. now have a Nolan n102. It's made well & is quiet, but behind a tulsa extra tall the vents don't work cuz no wind gets to it, so it's hot,hot but on my Sabre or Magna where some wind gets to it it is much better.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

I went out today to the 3 local MC shops to check them out. I was only able to look one modular helmet that I could try on. It was in the Honda store and it was the HJI-IS-Max. It looks like a good helmet, but I want to look at many more. I guess I got a reason to take some rides to locate some other options and check out new bikes.
I did get a good look at the Can-Am Spyder. Very interesting. Kinda feels like sitting on a snowmobile.

I also got to see the new Honda chopper (“The Fury”).

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

I just got a modular from Lopeha. It's made by Shoei. DOn't know the exact model. It sits just fine with the front up no tendency to roll. seems to open and close fairly easily once you've done it a few times. I haven't ridden with it on yet. When I first got it I imediately took it apart and began sanding it to paint it. It was a nice pearl white, but had a few scratches and clashed horribly with my Satin black Wing, and the other full face helemt which also happens to be Satin black.

By the time the paint had dried and i had reassmbled it the Wign had come down with a severe oil leak that had to be fixed before any riding was done.

Well I GOT THE leak fixed today. Will take her out for a ride tomorrow and will wear the helmet to get a feel for it and let you gys know how it goes. So far I am pretty happy with it.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

I agree with the G-Max GM44. You can't beat the price. I find mine to be quite comfortable and very well ventilated. Also the visor has lots of positions so that you can crack open it a little or a lot. I also use the Scala blue tooth headset with it and it works well as there is room for the speakers and enough room between your mouth and the boom mike.

·
Premium Member
370 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,795 Posts
imported post

I just picked up a Vega Summit II. Very comfortable & lightweight. They also advertise they match Honda colors. I bought mine from Iron Pony in Columbus on closeout & will repaint so price not color was the important fact.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

I took a 250 mile ride today and stopped at three dealers. One had the HJC IS -max and Sy-max. The Sy-max was like $100 more. I couldn't see the advantage.

The other shop had the M1 Fuller. This helmet was about $160 and seemed like a good helmet.

The third had the HJC, but they also had the Shark Evoline. This helmet was kinda cool because you can flip the chin bar all the way behind your head and ride open faced. I really like this helmet but its $400.

The search goes on. I still want to look at the Vega Summit, Nolan N102 and the Gmax 44. I still haven't been into Salt Lake so I hope I can find these to try on.

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
imported post

I have the G Max GM44 and I'm happy with good fit easy to open and close. I usually ride with the face shield up so it stays fairly cool unless it's really windy then I close it.
Good luck :action::action:

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
imported post

clpete one thing to also watch is the weight of some of the helmets. Ive a friend who has a Fulmer and its at 4 lbs. I have a Z1R modular and its about 3&3/4 lbs. If you have any neck or back issues you might take this into consideration.

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
imported post

I dont have a modular on my site yet, but do have some available. When you figure out which one you want for sure, pm me and lets see if I can get you a better price

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
imported post

Bigmick wrote:
clpete one thing to also watch is the weight of some of the helmets. Ive a friend who has a Fulmer and its at 4 lbs. I have a Z1R modular and its about 3&3/4 lbs. If you have any neck or back issues you might take this into consideration.
Yea, I was wondering about those 4 lbs helmets. The Nolan and Shark are also that heavy. The Shark and the Fulmer also look big IMO.

I don't think I have looked at the Z1R. Who makes it?

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Had An HJC Sym max, was noisy, just got a Zeus 3000A, same features $100.00 cheaper, quiter, Pearl White, matches the bike :clapper::clapper::clapper:

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
imported post

I bought a couple of SiGi helmets at WalMart for $125CND each. They are fairly well balanced. You have to make sure both sides of the chin snap shut. Venting could be a little better on top, the chin vent I usually keep closed. It came with a double layer visor, (snowmobile) and a small beak. If it didn't have the beak I think the noise would be a lot less. Big plus with this helmet is I can stop and have a drink without having to remove my helmet, I always wear a full face. The vents seal quite well against the rain. I only noticed maybe two or three drop of water drip in front in the hard rain yesterday.
James

·
Ignoramus Primus
303 Posts
imported post

HJC Symax II. I find the ventilation to be quite good - so good that it is NOT a good helmet in cold weather (below 50F) but then again I am follically challenged.

It is a bit noisy like most modulars EXCEPT if I fully open the face shield, then it is about like a 3/4 helmet. The Symax II also has a cool StarWars/Fighter Pilot drop down tinted shield on the INSIDE. Very helpful for when the sun is low and glaring straight at you.

www.chromeworld.com has the best price ($240 shipped).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.