Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Tons of posts are here on headlight modulators, so I thought I would add mine. I have had a headlight modulator on my last 3 Goldwings. I am certain cagers are annoyed by my headlight modulator, more so when I am up close behind them at a traffic light, whereupon I turn it off. I also turn it off when riding in a group. If anyone who is driving can't see a group of bikes coming toward them we are all in deep trouble. Mine is wired to work with the high beams only, so I can dim my lights to kill it. Many people say they are afraid it will annoy cagers. I am sure some are annoyed at other times on the road too. If someone is at an intersection waiting for you to pass by why should you care if they are annoyed? It's way less than a minute out of their day. To me it's far more important for them to see me coming, so I leave it on most of the time. I only see them on 1 out of 300 to 500 motorcycles while riding or driving my truck. Common sense should tell us they are effective at making the cagers see us. I will never ride without one. Also I have been surprised for years why so few motorcycles have one. Some will say they don't work. Look down the road at oncoming traffic the next time you are out riding your bike or driving a car. There are always some cars that do not have their headlights on. Be honest with yourself and ask which ones do I see first? Keep in mind they are not blinking. A blinking headlight in my estimation may be up to 100 times more noticeable. Isn't being noticeable what we want while riding?

Reactions: AZgl1800

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,537 Posts
Precisely the way I feel about it also.
I see modulated headlights on bikes almost everyday here if I am driving to and from Tulsa from Oologah.

does not bother me a bit, I am glad to have seen them using them.

Tons of posts are here on headlight modulators, so I thought I would add mine. I have had a headlight modulator on my last 3 Goldwings. I am certain cagers are annoyed by my headlight modulator, more so when I am up close behind them at a traffic light, whereupon I turn it off. I also turn it off when riding in a group. If anyone who is driving can't see a group of bikes coming toward them we are all in deep trouble. Mine is wired to work with the high beams only, so I can dim my lights to kill it. Many people say they are afraid it will annoy cagers. I am sure some are annoyed at other times on the road too. If someone is at an intersection waiting for you to pass by why should you care if they are annoyed? It's way less than a minute out of their day. To me it's far more important for them to see me coming, so I leave it on most of the time. I only see them on 1 out of 300 to 500 motorcycles while riding or driving my truck. Common sense should tell us they are effective at making the cagers see us. I will never ride without one. Also I have been surprised for years why so few motorcycles have one. Some will say they don't work. Look down the road at oncoming traffic the next time you are out riding your bike or driving a car. There are always some cars that do not have their headlights on. Be honest with yourself and ask which ones do I see first? Keep in mind they are not blinking. A blinking headlight in my estimation may be up to 100 times more noticeable. Isn't being noticeable what we want while riding?

·
Premium Member
3,699 Posts
Hmmmm,
I know of one rider who has his set to Wig Wag / left / right
Two. Mine does that with the trunk brake lights. The lower brake lamps are steady burning when brakes are applied.

As to headlight modulators, they modulate light intensity, they do not go off so they do not "flash". Police cars and other EMVs generally use flashing headlights, not modulators, and often they disable when headlights (or even just the park lights) are turned on by the operator.

:| Just sayin'.

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title46.2/chapter10/section46.2-1012/

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
I have had a headlight modulator on my last 3 Goldwings. I am certain cagers are annoyed by my headlight modulator, more so when I am up close behind them at a traffic light, whereupon I turn it off. I also turn it off when riding in a group. If anyone who is driving can't see a group of bikes coming toward them we are all in deep trouble. Mine is wired to work with the high beams only, so I can dim my lights to kill it. Many people say they are afraid it will annoy cagers. I am sure some are annoyed at other times on the road too. If someone is at an intersection waiting for you to pass by why should you care if they are annoyed? It's way less than a minute out of their day. To me it's far more important for them to see me coming, so I leIave it on most of the time. I only see them on 1 out of 300 to 500 motorcycles while riding or driving my truck. Common sense should tell us they are effective at making the cagers see us. I will never ride without one. Also I have been surprised for years why so few motorcycles have one. Some will say they don't work. Look down the road at oncoming traffic the next time you are out riding your bike or driving a car. There are always some cars that do not have their headlights on. Be honest with yourself and ask which ones do I see first? Keep in mind they are not blinking. A blinking headlight in my estimation may be up to 100 times more noticeable. Isn't being noticeable what we want while riding?

61 - 64 of 64 Posts