Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

A day or so ago I saw a bike (not a GW) with modulating fog lights. Has anyone seen these before. I thought it looked better than the modulating headlight, and wonder if it can be done on the GW.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

J C Whitney has one they sell that doesn't come with a light sensor. Just the ticket to add to my driving lights as they are on a toggle switch anyways.

Designed to enhance awareness of motorcycle headlight illumination in accordance with Federal Standard 49, CFR Part 571.106. An external disable switch is used to disable the modulation function during nighttime driving. During the day it flashes the headlamp every 1/10[sup]th[/sup] of a second. Essentially functions as a 2-terminal device that is connected in series with the power feed to the light. This safety device has been designed for motorcycle use, to provide additional awareness to other vehicles on the road during daylight hours. The rate of modulation is 200 to 280 cycles per minute, with maximum power being applied to the headlight for 50 to 70% of each cycle. During the low intensity portion of the cycle, power to the headlight is held to no less than 17% of maximum intensity. Incandescent lamp power rating of 120-Watts. The output circuit is a solid state switching transistor. Input voltage of 11 to 16-Volts (standard automotive range). Composed of glass reinforced black Lexan plastic, epoxy encapsulated for maximum protection against moisture and vibration. Two 1/4" quick-connect male terminals. Single hole mounting or 2 hole panel mount available at extra cost. Operates at a temperature range of -40°C to +60°C (-40°F to +140°F). Dimensions: 1-3/4"W x 7/8"H x 1-1/8"L. Check local laws before ordering.

This should handle 2-55 watt lights just fine as the total is 10 watts less the max for this unit.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/AMPERITE-HEADLIGHT-DAYTIME-MODULATOR/GP_2010075_N_111+1982+200008236+600014762_10111.jcw

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Greetings,

I run a Signal Dynamics mod on my 83 and have for several years with no hassle from anyone. However, it's only legal to modulate the high beam on the main light. Here's the low-down on the do's and don'ts of modulationg:

http://tinyurl.com/376gwn

I do believe inmodulators.

Hobie

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Hobie1 wrote:
Greetings,

I run a Signal Dynamics mod on my 83 and have for several years with no hassle from anyone. However, it's only legal to modulate the high beam on the main light. Here's the low-down on the do's and don'ts of modulationg:

http://tinyurl.com/376gwn

I do believe inmodulators.

Hobie
Headlight modulator installation is recommended for the cycle's HIGH beam element, although it is legal on either high or low beam.
Taken right from your source Hobie1. Also other sources state it's legal for both high and low beams.

It's all good though.:action::action::action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

My Sig. Dynamic is an older model and it will modulate either low or high beam. I use high beam when I'm going out of town and low beam in town.I've never had any comments except "Hey mister, did you know that your head-light is blinking?"I tell them "That's right, it got your attention didn't it:)"

I also modulate my brake lights.

Hobie

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Now that's nice, being able to use it on both high and low. I'm thinking about getting that one from J C Whitney I posted about and use it on my driving lights. It will take me all of 5 minutes to install it in the fairing right behind the right turn signal. Add one short piece of wire with slid-on connectors between the hot side of the toggle switch and the single power lead that feeds both lights, mount it with some good velcro I got from Walmart and it's done.

J C Whitney also has one for the brake lights, I wonder how it would do with the led's I've put in it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.