Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quickie question guys, I ran a search but didn't find what I needed on the first page.

Last i bough Honda Moly... the tube was $9 and was only about a third full. I have heard rumors of other brands that offer "tubs" at much better pricing.

Can anyone direct me...

T

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
I use the locktite moly paste. Amazon is usually cheapest price unless you find someone local cheaper. 8oz/@$21 plus shipping
I usually get 2 to save on shipping.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
I haven't used it but the LocTite brand seems to be an alternative. It isn't cheap either. Your right though the Honda tube I got was only about half full as well. The site at the bottom talks about that under the spline lubricants.

Moly greases with 60% + molybdenum disulfide content:
  • Honda Moly 60 paste, $9 for 3oz, pn 08734-0001 at your Honda dealer, or $8 from Kim Leong, STOC 3073, California Sport Touring.
  • LocTite Moly paste, 65% molybdenum disulfide. $20 for an 8oz tube from Enco, part #505-1197, 800-873-3626
  • TS-70 Moly Paste, 4 oz. ctg. $14 from TSMoly. (800) 508-5545

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Shaft.html

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
I have never used Honda Moly 60. I use Valvoline Moly Fortified HD Chassis grease specified for FoMoCo vehicles. It is high temp grease for all sorts of apps, it isn't as expensive, and I have yet to see any evidence that it doesn't work as it's all my GL1200 has seen in spliones since 1995 anyway when I bought it and first serviced it.

Last 16 oz can cost me $3.99. Honda Moly 60 is NOT 60% Moly, below is the MSDS for it.

Attachments

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,230 Posts
You only ever have to use the slightest little bit, the stuff is so heavy centrifugal force generally throws off what it doesn't need. leaving a mess that's downright nasty to clean up, 4oz should last you forever if you put it on right!

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good replies... thanks guys.

CrystalPistol: They have that brand at my local Autozone for about the same price... and like you I looked at the MSDS and found it to have 15 to 20% moly.

I have run several searches online to fond a MSDS sheet for the Honda 60... but that is proving elusive.

Chilidawg: The reason I need a "tub: rather than the usual 1/2 full 8 oz Honda container is I have pulled, washed and cleaned the entire drive train of the Valk, so the spline cavities are completely dry and empty. And also... I will be using it in some automotive applications I have looming. Just figured if I was buying Moly, I should get moly that works both ways.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Just figured if I was buying Moly, I should get moly that works both ways.
If it's for the bike it should work for a car...
If it's for the car it should work for a bike...

Sound reasoning to me. CP's thought pattern too I suppose.

The Valvoline stuff is a good deal. I use it.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
I have never used Honda Moly 60. I use Valvoline Moly Fortified HD Chassis grease specified for FoMoCo vehicles. It is high temp grease for all sorts of apps, it isn't as expensive, and I have yet to see any evidence that it doesn't work as it's all my GL1200 has seen in spliones since 1995 anyway when I bought it and first serviced it.

Last 16 oz can cost me $3.99. Honda Moly 60 is NOT 60% Moly, below is the MSDS for it.
I had used this a couple of times when I didn't have Moly Paste and I gotta say, I see no difference in how much grease get slung off and how much holds on between Moly 60 and Valvoline. It rode quite and when I took the tire off after 8000 miles, there was still plenty in between the splines, no fear of it wearing off.

·
Just one of the guys
4,832 Posts
The MSDS Sheet shown is percent by weight. A quarter cup of grease weighs a lot more than a quarter cup of moly powder. The 60% moly rating could be by volume, it likely would work to be similar to the 20% by weight.

I have a can of Moly powder, I just mix it with some good quality grease to make the amoune I need.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I've been using Sta-Lube Moly-Graph with good results... Just serviced the drivelines on both my bikes, and found no discernable wear after 20k miles on each; been using it for 100k so far on one of them. It's less than $10 for a tub at Pep Boys

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
I know it was not the subject of the post, but I also have used an automotive grease on mine, the high temp red from Vavlvoline. When I last looked at my splines at Austone install (89k on bike, red grease since 15k when I bought it) they looked dandy. I had a thread with pics here a while back, but I think the conversion made it go away?
Options anyway, that is all.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've been using Sta-Lube Moly-Graph with good results... Just serviced the drivelines on both my bikes, and found no discernable wear after 20k miles on each; been using it for 100k so far on one of them. It's less than $10 for a tub at Pep Boys

It is my experience that advice from Alex is usually good advice. I bought a tub of Valvoline Moly from Autozone yesterday. (Thanks CP) I am going to try to have the rear end on my fat girl re-packed by the weekend. I have a sizable order due from Cyclemax soon and the Dynabeads are due in by the end of the week.

Time to put the Valk back together...

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
It is my experience that advice from Alex is usually good advice. I bought a tub of Valvoline Moly from Autozone yesterday. (Thanks CP) ... etc ... Time to put the Valk back together...

I sometimes think I'ld like to have a Valk myself .... or a naked 1200 or 1100 .... and you are Most Welcomed Sir! ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.