Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I once saw you guys discussing moly lub for the driveshaft splines and one of you recomended a NAPA product as being the right stuff. I ordered some but am wondering if it's what I meant to get. It's pt.# ML-1. Discription says for distributor rubbing blocks, gears & bearings. I remember you folk describing itas a moly paste. Wadya think?

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
imported post

I believe what you want is a Honda product called Moly 60 Paste.

I went to a nearby Honda dealer, whom I do not like, and they gave me a funny look when I asked for Honda Moly 60 Paste. Dude went and asked the head tech and came back and said that the master tech said to go to the auto parts store and use any moly grease for the splines. I remember reading that if a shop did not know what Honda Moly 60 Paste was, run away.

I've since visited a Honda dealer whom I like and asked for the paste and he said no problem and got one from the back. He told me it was great stuff and he uses it on everything. Not all dealers are created equal.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Thanks for that but it's about 40 miles to dealer and hoping to find something locally that'l work

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
imported post

I saw some moley on e-bay as well.

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

Moly is a dry lubricant that is in a grease base for application purposes.

The Honda Moly 60 is 60% moly to 40% grease.

In high pressure situations such as the drive gear splines, the grease gets squeezed out and a dry layer of moly remains behind to continue lubricating.

This is why you don't want to just use any grease to lube your splines. The grease would get forced out and there wouldn't be any lubrication at all.

Moly is expensive stuff, so most moly greases (the cheap ones) are in the range of only 4-10%.

If you use a low percentage moly, when the grease gets squeezed out you have less remaining moly protection.

The good stuff is worth the money.

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
imported post

396FISH wrote:
I once saw you guys discussing moly lub for the driveshaft splines and one of you recomended a NAPA product as being the right stuff. I ordered some but am wondering if it's what I meant to get. It's pt.# ML-1. Discription says for distributor rubbing blocks, gears & bearings. I remember you folk describing itas a moly paste. Wadya think?
If it's not moly60 don't use it on the splines, it won't stick like moly60 will, and I have not seen anything that anybody sells that is a moly60 besides Honda.

If you have to travel to get some, call first to make sure they know what you are talking about, yehnot all dealers are created equal,and then have a nice ride.

Or I have seen it on ebay or other web sights.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
imported post

also loctite sells moly paste, but you have to buy that off the web, too. I don't think anybody would have that on the shelf? The loctite has a brush in the lid, the Honda60 (I use) I just use an acid brush. Both are about the same price - $10 for 4oz (Honda60)or $25 for 8oz (loctite)
heres Amazon for Loctite paste:
http://www.amazon.com/Loctite-51084-Moly-Paste-Friction-Brush/dp/B0017TTHAM

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
imported post

sparebulb wrote:
I believe what you want is a Honda product called Moly 60 Paste.

I went to a nearby Honda dealer, whom I do not like, and they gave me a funny look when I asked for Honda Moly 60 Paste. Dude went and asked the head tech and came back and said that the master tech said to go to the auto parts store and use any moly grease for the splines. I remember reading that if a shop did not know what Honda Moly 60 Paste was, run away.

I've since visited a Honda dealer whom I like and asked for the paste and he said no problem and got one from the back. He told me it was great stuff and he uses it on everything. Not all dealers are created equal.
I checked with the local dealer and was told by the parts person that they didn't carry Moly 60 Paste. I started to leave, then doubled back. I asked the guy in the service deptif they hadany Moly 60 Paste. He walkedstraight to a display in the customer sales area, pointed it out, thenhanded me a tube. Believe me, I know whom I want to order parts from and it's not the parts department!

Terry

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

The only 2 moly pastes that I could find to handle spline lubes is Honda Moly 60 and some Moly grease that is sold by BMW. I use Honda Moly to lube my BMW transmission splines too. Order it if you have to I never did find anything at my 2 parts stores that would work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.