Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

well after fooling around with various radios for my 1200 heres what i came up with, it is sold under the dual label and the model number is xr 4110. this is a am/ fm radio. it has a mp3 port, a usb port, and a port for a sd card. this should just about cover it. the radio retails for about $45.00 it has a one year warranty, a person might shop and get an extended warranty. most after market radios are 7 inchs deep and they some times bottom out on the wiring and antenna, making a spacer under the front a must. this radio is 4.2 inchs deep, this makes installation a slam dunk. i have two radios sold under this label and so far they have been fine. the reviews i read were by and large good. this type of radio will eliminate having to store tapes or discs, every thing should fit in a small plastic container. the model number and brand name can be googled or ebayed. this radio is on my xmas list. :) walkabout

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
imported post

I have installed this radio too, under the name BOSS 612AU. I installed a marine case above the instrument gauges to hold it with strap aluminum, all in flat black.

The radio has a couple of shortcomings, but nothing that is a deal breaker: Volume returns to a factory set every time you turn it off, I've heard that for some that set is at full volume, on mine it is 15 out of a 40 scale; setting the clock is a mystery, it took me two days with the technical support to figure out, but it's working now, (not really needed, the clock only comes on when you select it); and the display is not very bright in daylight but just right at night (I can live with that, literally).

I've got all four speaker wires connected, two front, two rear and I can hear the stereo while going down the road at 70 with the volume set at 30 of the 40 possible.

Overall, a nice addition to the bike. Photos to follow.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
imported post

I have one of these, but took it out of the bike. The volume was the issue for: there weren't enough watts.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
imported post

Hello Walkabout, This is just what I'm wanting to do to my 1984 Aspencade. I did a search and found the same radio that you have, and I like it. I'm wondering if you could post or email me a photo or two showing your set up?

Thanks.
Roger

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Roger, i cannot post pictures. cant seem to get them to post from computer to this web site, still working on it. here is what i did, replaced factory speakers with hundred watt speakers from ebay. the bike did not have a clock. i took 1/4 inch black abs plastic and cut it to fit across the holes where the original radio and clock fit. i cut it eleven and three quarters inchs long and two and seven eighths inches wide. i had to knotch the ends to get it to fit right. i cut a hole thru the plastic to fit the new radio, the radio should go thru the new plate and thru the hole of the old plate. i then drilled holes thru the ends of the new plate and old plate and bolted the two together i then slid the radio into the hole.i took a ride today and used this set up, i was very pleased. no cd,s or cassettes to fool with and no wires going to mp3 player. regards walkabout:)

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
imported post

Howdy Walkabout,
Sorry to hear that you cant get photos to upload. I wonder if it could have something to do with your I.S.P. connection speed? Something you may want to check into.

Ok, I read all the directions, and as soon as I get the Aspencade home I'll give that a shot. I do like the idea of not having to mess around with the tapes while on the road. I do have a computer and have already started to make mp3's from some of the CD's that I have, and am loading them onto a 8GB sd card. I'm going to place an order in the morning for the same unit that you have. When I get, and get everything installed, I'll try to post a few photos so you and others can see how it turned out. I do thank you for info.

Thanks
Roger

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
imported post

I don't have a lot of pictures of my old 85 Aspy but I installed a Jensen in mine and trimmed it up with sone light alumminum flat plate. I hard wired it to replacement speakers I got at the local discount store. The radio was a hundred bucks and the speakers thirty. Mine was a c.d. player and had a usb port I guess its called and a place for a memory stick and a 3.5 mm plug.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
imported post

Walkabout,
I thought I'd post this to show what I found on ebay. as ya know I'd been wanting to replace my oem radio with a newer am-fm mp3 player but wasnt real sure of just how I'd do it. Well I found this radio bezel on ebay for the GL1200. Not sure how long it'll be before I get it installed because I need the carbs done first, but as soon as I do, I'll post more photo's. So for now here is a photo of what I have. You can do a search on ebay for "Goldwing Radio Bezel" and you should find it. I never did get the radio, I'd been doing a lotta looking around, and I found one that my cell phone will work with, so that will be the one I get when I can. It to is just a am-fm mp3 player.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

goodolboy1, i did get those pictures to post, i dont know where they went, any way i got the radios installed and i am pleased with them. i used a piece of plastic to trim it,came out fine. i can thank steves son for helping me to post the pictures.i could not get the picture you were talking about to come up. walkabout :smiler:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.