Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Over a year ago I had to have the carbs overhauled due to age and the fuel tank replaced due to rusted out area. From that time it seems to me I hear more of the engine noise at low speeds and the temp guage indicates the engine cools down sooner than before the repairs. Is there an insulation between the engine and fuel tank that might have been disgarded? In addition I started using 87 octane at that point and the tank seem to have more pressure build up than when I was using 93 octance. Built up so much pressure the gas seemed to blow through the fuel auto shut off valve and the enginwe flooded. Have I lost the remainder of my brain??? Bike is a 1988 GL 1500 I bought new in June 1988. Never had the problems prior to the repairs.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
imported post

I have an 88 as well and think they are a special breed. My transmission shifts flawlessly and you might think it's an automatic as well as the shifts take place.I use the 87 octane and am looking to do a carb overhaul soon. Who did your carb work and it sounds like a bad gas cap!

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

The work was done in Daytona Beach and the place is out of business. However the shop manager checked everything at his residence and he now has a shop of his own in Daytona Beach. I replaced the gas cap. Since then I have resumed using 93 octane and took my old cap, drilled a small hole through the cente, placed a vacuum hose 90 degree elbow, attached a hose, and now it vents all the time. No more fuel problems but still the engine noise at low speed and the engine cools down sooner. Runs fine. 40 mpg two up on off interstate roads.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Please explain the cools down quicker. YOU mean after you shut it down?
that sounds like a good thing.
One other thing you say you never had a problem beforew repairs so why did you do the repaoirs?
Wilf

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Yes the engine cools down faster after it is shut off. The repairs came about after the rear valve stem leaked and when I had it in the shop and cinsidering the bike was 21 years old the carbs needed overhauling and one of the vacuum diaphrams, come to find out, was nearly broken. So I had the work done and then we discovered the fuel tank had a hole nearly rusted through. THEN, the rear pinion seal was discovered leaking.... bla bla bla. It is even a longer story about my decision to switch to 87 octane after using 93 it's entire life. I still wonder if there is more ethanol in the gas here in Florida than there was in Georgia when I lived there.

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

As to the noise question ... There is normally a rubber blanket over the top of the engine . I think it fits just below the carbs . If that was removed during all the work you could have a little more noise and possibly affect temperature as well . I cant find the photo I have/had .

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
imported post

i wish mine would cool down sooner! If she's idleing, waiting for me to talk to some one for more than 10 min. the temp. is up to high three quarter range . I would be better to turn it off right away I'm thinking! When we're riding there is no ooo problems! I love my big girl! :thumbsup:

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

Duckster wrote:
In addition I started using 87 octane at that point and the tank seem to have more pressure build up than when I was using 93 octance. Built up so much pressure the gas seemed to blow through the fuel auto shut off valve and the enginwe flooded. Have I lost the remainder of my brain??? Bike is a 1988 GL 1500 I bought new in June 1988. Never had the problems prior to the repairs.
The tank on your 1500 was designed to hold a pressure of fuel vapors under certain conditions. As far as tank pressure flooding engine that is very unlikely. It would first have to overtake the auto fuel valve and then the float valves.:baffling:

With respect to the engine noise being more prevalent, loose air box hoses and/or cover would be my guess.

JD

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,203 Posts
imported post

I have never bothered to wonder how long it takes for the engine to cool down after it was shut off.

It is a non-sequitur IMO. Totally irrelevant to the bike's operation.

As far as how much the temp goes up, that also does not mean anything to me. If the fans cycle on, and then off, then all is well. Why worry?

I think we buy off too many problems worrying about the "little things".

87 octane is all the engine needs, more just causes the sparking system to have to reach a higher voltage before the plug ignites the fuel. Might not be a lot of difference , but why spend more? I never do. I buy the lowest octane number that the pump has because that is all the engine needs for that altitude.

I also put a hole in the fuel cap, vapor pressure issue is gone. I also punched a whole in the side of the neck into the upper tank area. Slow fill up issue gone. It is always topped up, every time.

Now if my brakes start making funny noises, then I get worried.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Yea I realy have no idea about the faster cooldown thing. Not shure how you would tell either as it has an electric temo gauge.
Wilf

Perhaps we are missing something here

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
imported post

The real question is, is the bike running at normal operating temperatures. If the gauge reads low or stay way over to the left, then cooling down faster would mean a stuck open thermostat. If the gauge is in the middle of the scale, it's running right.

How quick does it warm up? Time will also dictate a worn out thermostat. When you ride fast, does the engine temperature drop significantly? Stay the same?

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

I believe the pressure did push the fuel past the auto shut off valve, the needle and seats, flood the engine and then contaminate the oil. I checked the oil after several episodes and smelled the odor of raw gasoline. I then changed the oil and filter.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Thanks. I would be the pictured item was thrown away... I wonder if the mat is a factory item.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

The temp guage has always run at what would be a 1/4 tank of fuel. This bike has, since day one, always taken at least ten minutes to reach opreation temperture.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Didn't you say a shop did the work? Have them get another and make them put it on and check the hoses.
Yes its from the factory.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Any idea what year model the "blanket" is on? Is the part still avaliable???

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Duckster wrote:
What does "non-sequitur" mean?
Where is that at?

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

I dont have any idea if the blanket is available from Mother Honda . I would think it was on all years but I cant say for certain .

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.