Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

So, me, mr joe I don't wear a helmet, went out today and bought a Shoei Multitec. I had a lot of trouble figuring out what size to buy. My head measurement indicates I should use a large, but a large in Scorpion or Arai or HTC all fit different. The Shoei seems to be just a bit larger than other brand larges, but the medium was way to small, so I opted for the large wondering if I was buying something not quite snug enough. The modular design made it easy to get on and off and put my glasses on. There is even enough room for my fit over sunglasses meaning I don't have to rush out and buy prescription sunglasses.
The first thing I did was rode out onto the interstate. I wanted to check the wind noise at speeds that are about as fast as I intend on going. Wow. Quite. Too quiet almost. The Bell 3/4 face that I have used and mostly didn't use was a noisy thing. Wind noise like crazy. This Shoei is very quiet. Some reviews have indicated some noises but I sure did not pick up on any of that. Bear in mind that this is my first modular ever and I'm used to riding hatless. I did notice that when I spoke my own voice was highly amplified (why was I talking to myself you ask?). I did not feel any pulling or shifting of the helmet and it's pretty windy today. It must be a good fit after all.
What I do not like is how all sounds are reduced. I can barely hear my bike. The gear box whine is greatly reduced and I could hear the rumble of the exaust a little better, which was good, but all the road noise, tire sounds on different surfaces, engine revs, were all very much quieted down and I kind of like listening to all those things. That was one of the great pleasures of helmetless riding. I also found that not having the tire noise made it a lot easier to ride at 80mph and I'm not sure if that's a good thing.
I don't know what to think at this point. This thing appears to be a top notch modular. I guess I'm going to see how it all works out over time and how I get used to the "lack" of noise. A $400 expirement. Well I guess if I hate it I can get about half my money back on eBay.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
imported post

i have a shoei multitec i brought last year, my helmet is a little nosey when the wind blowes from side to side.i did email them with no reply yet.youmust have got Lucky with yours. it is a very comfortable fit, it should be for the price

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
imported post

webbikeworld has done extensive reviews on the flip up helmets. They are all a little noisy but then again they wear helmets all the time. Bbach I'm sure it is quiet compared to the Bell that was catching all the wind. You should get used to it and eventually you'll feel naked without it and that's a good thing. Good for you for protecting your noggin.

Jeff

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.