Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I had tuned the carbs or throttle bodies on all my motorcycles recently. Then just recently I read somewhere that the Goldwing,(GL1500), can not be tuned by the Morgan tool. Is this true??? If so why??? curious wilbur-j

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Volume ---- Velocity------ Uh let me think uh I need to eat a cookie before I answer this-------- UMMMMM GOOOOOOD Crackers ----I have no idea what that even means It is a Morgan carb tune tool from England and works with stainless doo-hickies instead of mercury and man it seems to be accurate. Please explain what these terms mean in relation to carb tuning thanks wilbur-j

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Can I have a cookie too? :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1: That just made my day. The morgan Carb Tune is my favorite tool for its particular use. For any motorcycle, including the fuel injected throttle bodies.

http://www.carbtune.com/

So let me redo this one a bit. I had no idea it would not work with the 1500, and for sure the web site says it will not. The carbs on the 1500 produce too much vacuum and overpower the gauge.

It will not work on a 5 cylinder bike see FAQ:)

The only thing I can say is I have been using one for years for all kinds of different bikes and we did a 1500 last month. I have brass needle valves on mine, and I was not even aware I could not accomplish the job.

I however do not pay one bit of attention to any of the gauge readings. I simply throttle things down at about 2000 rpm so the rods stop jumping around and settle down to an even bounce on all tubes , back off to 1200 rpm or so, do the sync than set the idle back to about 850 to 900 rpm.

Even a set of homemade gauges you have to restrict them or they will bounce so much they are useless.

Could be because the actual gauge readings on a vacuum gauge as per the manual, would not be obtainable with the Carb Tune. Thing is I have never looked at an specific reading, just so long as all are even always suits me. I suppose to use the reading to tell if a hole is in a rubber disk would be a good thing, myself if I have no vacuum or that particular carb is not acting right I can tell, suppose it is what one gets used to.

Kit

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

i am not sure if it was morgan's web site that said the vacuum by the 1500 intake was too much for their gauge, they suggested a dial type.

Goldwing 6 cylinder - Sorry, it won't work on the 6 cylinder model. They have two carbs and give very high readings. Works fine on the 4-cylinder Gold Wings and also the Valkyrie.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
imported post

?.. Any US distibuters of that gizmo-dohicky?

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

sandcastcb750 wrote:
Okay, so I was wrong.

Looks like an updated mercury stix without mercury.

Only 4 cylinders?
You were not wrong and we are just acting the fool. About the can I have a cookie thing. :)

It is very similar to a mercury gauge just has solid rods and the advantage is that if you forget with a mercury system and only hook up one carb ........whoops there went the mercury. Cannot spill, cannot be sucked out of the tool.

After looking at some specs in some manuals I now understand why they say it will not work with the 1500. There are specific settings for any motorcycle to use with that kind of gauge, so if things do not read right, one can suspect a problem. I just never pay any attention to the reading, but I have learned something today myself. A specific reading could be very useful in troubleshooting and eliminate trial and error.

You can use it on six cylinders like the Valk too, I used to have a Valk. Number 3 carb is the non-adjustable one. Number six at the manifold has the vacuum line to the pet ****. so you just pull the vacuum on the manifold at number six and pinch it off, so fuel will still flow, set the carb tune on 3-2.4.6 and tune them, then set 3-1,5 and you are done.

Some bikes like the yamaha Venture have the restrictors built into the manifold ports already.

So the bottom line is you can use it for a carb sync on the 1500. But if there is a problem such as a hole in one of the carb diaphrams you might not know it as this is why there is a specific reading requred as per the manual. And by throttling the valves down like I do I am overiding the proper operation of the gauge, and would not be aware of a hole in a diaphram unless it was severe.

I myself will pay more attention to this in the future.

Kit

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

ive been using the morgan carbtune for a couple of years, on the 1200 and two cylinder bikes and not had a problem, havent done a 1500 yet, i did my brothers yam fj1200 and my other brothers suzi 600 bandit and have had good results, i also have a set of dial gauges with four clocks and a set with two clocks, but i prefer using the morgan carbtune, the only thing i can nit pick with them, it that the come with plastic intake tubes rather than the brass ones, the good side is i got a free carry case with it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.