Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

two blocks from home. Doing about 30 on a two laner, in town. An idiot, parked on the right side, flips a u-ie and cuts in front of me. Pulls out hard, pretty hard on the throttle. I saw it coming and got into the oncoming lane (thankfully the lane was empty-I couldnt go the right cuz there was cars parked that I would have rear ended), hit both brakes and the horn. I pulled in front and was about 4 feet in front of him.

My heart was in my throat. The good news is that I did see it coming and was able to react in just the right time to keep it from being onlya close one.

Ride like you are invisible. You probably are.

Living to ride another day.

UBarW

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Hey Bob, congrats on post number 500!:clapper::weightlifter:

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

I figger I have between 15-20,000 miles since I have had bikes. This is really only the 2nd close call I have had. I suppose you could look at it like I am either overdue, or have beaten the odds.

Either way, I am glad to be here today. As it works out, since nothing happened, no big deal.

I am tempted to drop by and leave a note on that car, that says something like-

"Good morning from the guy on the motorcycle that you tried to kill yesterday. My wife and kids are glad I was paying attention, cuz you werent".

Have a good day, all

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imported post

Robo wrote:
It seems some days everyone is out to get us. Like you, I was heading back to the office from lunch (hour of riding) going through a intersection and who makes a right on red turn. A woman on a cell phone. I saw her make a slight glance for traffic and pull on out. Luckily I was able to move to the left lane quickly. As I went by her, she never looked over. She was too involved in her phone conversation.

When I got home later in the afternoon, my 4 year old daughter said Daddy, I thought you were dead. I asked why she said that. She goes, Daddy, there are bad people out there. Be careful.

Be safe out there.

Robo
Kudos to all of you for being alert.

This is exactly why I use the phrase "Ride like you are invisible-you probably are".

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
imported post

Good call on the emergency stop practice. That makes great sense. I have done that too, and, I have been working to make it practice to always use both brakes to stop. Not only does it ease the wear on the back end, but it will stop the bike quicker, and more in control.

I fugger that if I get used to doing it, it will be second nature in an emergency situation.

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
imported post

I think it was the comedian Gallager, that said we all ought to carry a little toy dart gun. The kind that has the rubber sucker on them. Each dart could have a little flag that says "stupid". Each time we see someone do something stupid, we could shoot them with one of those darts. Then, a cop could pull them over and giv'em a ticket for being a dumba**.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.