Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For any who might be interested I changed the rectifier/regulator to a Mosfet type on my 1984 GL1200I. Output voltage is about 14 VDC if my meter is reading correctly. Took a ride of about 100 miles after installation and all seemed well. In fact the old girl seemed to have a bit extra pep and thankfully battery didn't explode. LOL. The kit came from roadstercycle.com.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
MOSFET's (metal oxide silicone field effect transistors) are superior devices with an extremely low Rds (turn on resistance) and as such have a very low internal power dissipation factor... They will very effectively switch (pass) huge amounts of power while remaining quite cool... I used to design PWM speed controls with them for exotic samarium cobalt PM motors and it was pretty amazing what a few of these devices in parallel would handle...

I think you will find you will be very happy with the MOSFET regulator...

Les

·
Administrator
27,911 Posts
Glad to see someone trying that, hopefully it will solve some problems with the 4cyl. wings.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
That is neat setup. Could have used that on the old GS serie suzukis and others. Thanks for the link.
Steve

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
I put one on my 02 1100 shadow spirit, and boy what a difference, runs better handles all my lights with no problems. I plan on replacing the one on my 83 1100 I here shortly.

·
Administrator
27,911 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.