Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am thinking about parting with £350 for a Motad stainless steel system for my 86 Aspencade. This is a lot of cash compared to regularly fixing the standard exhaust's corrosion holes, therefore I would be grateful for any viewpoints about the Motad system from anyone with experience of it.

cheers, Craig

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Great system, probably the best of the aftermarket. Slightly deeper note and you can polish it to your hearts content as it just refuses to rust.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

There ain't hardly nothin' finer 'n Stainless Steel. Not even the Isle or Woman or REDWING's Honda 50 (he thinks it's an 1800)

:jumper:

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

Fitted mine a couple of years ago, only things that get my goat is the tails of the exhaust are too short, just means cleaning under the panniers more often or getting extensions madeand the tarnish is impossible to clean off so you end up with shiney dark blue exhaust but who cares, they'l last a long time and worth every penny.

Johno

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

You can get the blue tarnish off, but you need special stainless cleaner to do it. Problem is you be doing this every other month!

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

That's the only thing that lets the Motad down. It's too short and looks out of place. There doesn't seem to be any reason for Motad to have made the 1100 pipes to short, except I suppose to skimp on a few $s.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
imported post

I went through two genuine Honda exhaust systems which I kept brazing up. Then eighteen years ago I fitted a stainless motad to my 1100 and it is still in good condition. The downpipes have blued but the silencers are still as shiny as new and it is not through lack of use. it has now done 170,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

Here's a photo of a motad fitted to my '84 GL1200 interstate, the bike need's a clean thats all year riding in the UK for you!

Johno

Attachments

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

grahamh wrote:
I went through two genuine Honda exhaust systems which I kept brazing up. Then eighteen years ago I fitted a stainless motad to my 1100 and it is still in good condition. The downpipes have blued but the silencers are still as shiny as new and it is not through lack of use. it has now done 170,000 miles.
That's some mileage grahamh. Good testament to the Motads build quality. I just wish they were the same length as the Honda mufflers.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

I've just recieved a reply from Motad about extensions for thier Wing exhausts, the cost is £48 + vat and P&P and the part No. is MGLEX

Hope this helps. I think that if they made the exhausts the right length in the first place us consumers wouldn't have to fork out another £60 to make them right!!!!!!

Johno

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

;)There is a company in Mooresville, North Carolina (USA) that can coat the inside of chrome pipes so they will not turn blue. I assume this will also work on stainless steel but am not certain. It is quite reasonable. They had a set of Harley chopper exhaust thay were coated for only $35.00. The name of the company is H.M. Elliot Inc. and they do power coating, teflon,dry film ,ceramic and phosphate coating. They do power coating for a lot of NASCAR racing teams. I am having the wheels on my 83 Goldwing chrome plated and then they are going to powercoat in clear. They realy do great work and are quite reasonable. There phone number is 704-663-8226. :waving:Dean

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

;)It's just a nice ride Vic. We have made two trips to Canada and loved it. I don't know if there is anyone else doing the coating inside or if they developed the process themselves.:waving:Dean

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.