Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Looking for opinions. Has anyone tried putting mothballs in a bowl under a covered motorcycle to keep out mice. Will the fumes cause any corrosion. I've used mothballs in my workshop, but am mainly concerned with any type of corrosion caused by the fumes. Thanks in advance for the input.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
imported post

I use 'em all the time when I put mine in storage,usally set a container on each passenger ft.rest before covering up.Also dryer sheets near the air intake & various other places.smells like a perfume factory the first couple wks in spring !! :ROFL:

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

I used em last winter under and around both the 1100 and 1500, no problems with mice and noticed no issues with anything...

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

I had a Mickey invasion last winter in my shop because I spilled some shelled corn and didn't clean it up right away. I was catching a mouse a night in my trap. As an experimentI made a circleabout 16" diameter out of a continuous line of moth balls in the middle of the floor.I then put 6 or 7 kernels of corn in the center of the circle. The next morning the moth balls were scattered and the corn was gone.

NowI realize that the draw of a pile of corn is much greater than a bike so I am not saying that putting moth balls on the bike under a cover would not work.I think it will. I keepbaited traps under my wing all winter.

The main thing is to keep feed out of your storage building.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

The guy I got my bike from would find mice nest under the gas tank cover so he bought a product that smells like pine, and put it in there and no more mice. He had a few of them on the bike when I bought it, I still have one, I'll take a picture of it later and post it here.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
imported post

I've been using drier sheets, works very well, and doesn't smell as bad as mothballs. (never looked at a moth that close:cheesygrin:)
Seriously drier sheets work wonders, easy to use etc. Been using those in our 77 vette now for 3 years no problems. Car and bike are stored in a enclosed barn all winter.
My wife picks up a box of cheap ones, and lay them in areas where mice can get.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

ah just put alot of those glue traps under the bike and around it with a dab of peanut butter in the center that will do more than a moth ball

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts
imported post

I have three cats ----> no mice ! ! ! !

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
imported post

Dryer sheets seem to work well for me.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

No one is complaining about moths so I imagine they hre doing what they were desined to do.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

A friend had some old cars in storage, and I had a couple next to his in same building. He tossed moth balls in his cars to keep mice out, I just parked mine.
We actually saw a couple mice running around in his cars when we popped in once at night.
Not to say I did not have mice in mine also, but we never saw any mice in mine, just saw them in his LOL
I never found anty nests or other signs of mice in mine.

His were nicer cars so maybe the mice just had good taste and did not like my rat trap cars as well LOL

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

Chromo. No moths though, right?

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

No, I don't think either of us had Moths. LOL

A few spiders, a snake, mice, bees, wasps, around the building, no Moths LOL

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
imported post

Whatever you do, don't leave grass seed in your storage area. The stuff is like crack cocaine to mice. I put a mouse trap under each bike with peanut butter and remove the mice when I see them. The bikes areparked next to my car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.