2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,200 Posts
imported post

Think about it this way.

You and your motorcycle are pacing a car, or you are riding "towards an oncoming car"

That same fact is why the other driver "did not see you". you stayed in the same space plane reference to them and you disappeared. And then they turned left in front of you because you DO NOT EXIST!

This is the exact reason that when cars are nearing me, I start weaving and occupying the whole of MY LANE from line to line. It is mine, I am there, weaving breaks the hypnotic effect and 'OH MY GOD! A MOTORCYCLE!!!'

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
imported post

Yep , I do the weaving as well and shake the bars back and forth to flash them a bit! Just for general principals, I want their attention however limited it can be! lol!:jumper:

·
Just one of the guys
4,805 Posts
imported post

There was a show called "Brain Games" on the other night. They did a test where people were watching some dancers on stage and you were to count how many times the blue suited ones stepped into a circle. Afterward they asked how many had noticed the Penguin crossing the stage. Over half had not seen it because they were not looking for a Penguin.

They said that is why the most common accident for Motorcycles is the car turning left in front of them, because the car drivers are looking for other cars, they are not looking for motorcycles so they really, truly, do not see them.

I would like to see a similar test done with traffic going by and have people looking for some thing specific about the vehicles then see how many noticed how many motorcycles went by. The answer would likely amaze you, and might just scare the bejeebers out of you.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
imported post

............and that's why I REALLY like a oscillating headlamp when riding on opposing lane, less busy country highways............and ride WAY to the right when opposing traffic is approaching.
Lets someone planning a pass see you from farther away and gives you more of a space cushion from the centre line.

T.

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

DougW wrote:
There was a show called "Brain Games" on the other night. They did a test where people were watching some dancers on stage and you were to count how many times the blue suited ones stepped into a circle. Afterward they asked how many had noticed the Penguin crossing the stage. Over half had not seen it because they were not looking for a Penguin.
Someone posted a link to a video here awhile back that was a really interesting example.

Edited to remove the description of the example so as not to spoil it for everyone else that might like to try it.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

I have professed on this site before how that I believe that in traffic on multi lane roads that it is safer to move forward through traffic than it is to travel with the flow of traffic. Some agreed and some disagreed. My reasoning is that you never disappear. You are never in someone's blind spot. You are always fresh in the cagers minds. They cannot help but be aware.

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

FeButter wrote:
I have professed on this site before how that I believe that in traffic on multi lane roads that it is safer to move forward through traffic than it is to travel with the flow of traffic. Some agreed and some disagreed. My reasoning is that you never disappear. You are never in someone's blind spot. You are always fresh in the cagers minds. They cannot help but be aware.
I'm one of the ones that agrees with you. I don't know if the reasoning is exactly the same, but I feel a lot safer if I am going just a little bit faster than the ones around me. I don't need to go a lot faster, but just enough so that I am not staying in the same position all the time.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

Wolfman wrote:
I'm one of the ones that agrees with you. I don't know if the reasoning is exactly the same, but I feel a lot safer if I am going just a little bit faster than the ones around me. I don't need to go a lot faster, but just enough so that I am not staying in the same position all the time.
You get it. I'm not talking about reckless driving, just moving forward as to not stay in the same place.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

DougW

I saw that Brain Games show on TV and was so impressed by the way they describe this effect, I have ordered a copy of the DVD to show my students in class.

I am required by the State of Texas to teach a unit on how to use technology safely. We talk a lot about internet safety, gaming addictions, time management and all the usual things. But partially because I am MC rider I also delve into cell devices and how as their capacity increases, their rule over our attention does too... and how that can effect our very perception of reality.

People "believe" that what they are seeing represents reality... we are HARD WIRED this way. The problem is, there are gaps in our perceptual abilities that we have learned to compensate for so effectively, that we literally DO NOT SEE certain things under certain conditions. It is indeed a form of blindness. We do not see certain things under certain conditions.

Teenagers just do not believe this is real. Until I show them!

What I REALLY liked about this show as that it clearly showed that this is a physiological thing... we are ALL built this way. There is a less than 2% variation in the population. There is no such thing as a GOOD multi-tasker. That is a lie we use to delude ourselves into continuing to feed our addiction to compulsive distraction. We think "we're special." That we have somehow been "gifted" with a special skill. Young folks are particularly prone to this.

This show made a GREAT case showing how the research just not show this to be the case. This is a form of blindness. Our brains cannot process the information correctly... so it compensates by omitting or distorting stuff.

No matter how you might 'feel" about it... yapping on your phone DOES put your driving at risk... and the problem is NOT what you are doing with your hands... it's what is going on inside your head.

It cost me $195 of state money to buy this DVD to show to several hundred students per year... my administrator signed the PO without question. For the most part, if I want something like this... Seguin ISD buys it for me. Money well spent to keep them, you, me and society at large safer.

Kudos for them!

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

Wolfman wrote:
FeButter wrote:
I have professed on this site before how that I believe that in traffic on multi lane roads that it is safer to move forward through traffic than it is to travel with the flow of traffic.  Some agreed and some disagreed.  My reasoning is that you never disappear.  You are never in someone's blind spot.  You are always fresh in the cagers minds.  They cannot help but be aware.
I'm one of the ones that agrees with you.   I don't know if the reasoning is exactly the same, but I feel a lot safer if I am going just a little bit faster than the ones around me.   I don't need to go a lot faster, but just enough so that I am not staying in the same position all the time. 
Count me in as well. I'd take a speeding ticket over getting hit any day.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

I never paid much attention to motorcycles before I bought one and started riding one...Now this doesn't cover me riding a scooter in the mid to late 50's...Yes I did see them but I didn't????....Once I got out on the highways, then I really started paying attention to the number of other motorcycles out there with me.....Then in my cars I would actually "look" for bikers. and by bikers I mean anyone that was riding a motorcycle...I became aware of them, my mind might be thinking of the other cars around me but if a motorcycle was behind or in front of me, my attention was on them...

I live almost 5 miles from my job site, but.....Just in one night on the way home I had3 cars do the following...One pulled into my lane, I'm in the curb lane they were on my left, I had to get on the brake, there was NOT room for them in front of me.....Second car....Now this one was a cutie...She is driving I can see her cell phone at the top of her steering wheel, YES she's Texting!!!!!...We get to the stop light, she realized she needed to make a right turn onto that cross street....She never looked to see where my Jeep was, she started pulling over on me?????....I blew my horn at her, what did I get????...Yeah the bird and a few choice cuss words....She just kept coming over...I had no room to back up...She pulled into the crosswalk to cut me off to make her turn....

The third one almost gor me too....I'm in the left lane about to get to the left turn lane when this fool comes up on my right going about 50 mph, cuts across three lanes to get into that left turn lane....Again I got on my brakes to keep from getting hit....He sat there for a second then he decided red lights are for idiots, and made a left turn on a red light....Not one but about 5 or 6 cars had to plow on their brakes to keep from hitting him...There was a motorcycle that had to go around on the right side of one of those cars, to avoid running into the backend of the car ijn front of him....That motorcycle missed my front bumper by inches.....

Yeah they are among us and they don't care that you are on a motorcycle or a full grown car..THEY are more concerned with Their space and shame on you if you get into "their space"....Drivers ed???? Ain't going to help STUPITY!!!!!!!....Only thing you can hope for is when they do run over you is that they are caught and have insurance....That insurance thing is another thorn under my saddle and for another time....

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Sounds like you need a dashboard camera.:wtf::yelling::surprised::mad:

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Sounds like you need a dashboard camera.:wtf::yelling::surprised::mad:
And a ticket book...........