Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

SO my clutch cable broke on me last night. Was about 45 minutes from home. I managed to get her home but I obviously don't want to keep riding this way so I have to buy a clutch cable.

Just wondering about the motion pro cables. This is the third clutch cable on this Wing in five years. I'm getting a little tired of it.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

i have used montion pro cables for years with very good results and long life. check your routeing of the cables.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

The cable that was on the Wing when I bought broke, I replaced it with NOS. It broke in less than year, the cable that just broke last night was used and from an 81.

They all broke in exactly the same spot, right at the lever. I'm thinking there might be something going on with the lever so I just bought another one just in case.

I just didn't want to buy a Motion Pro cable If they were known to be crappy.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Ok so I just bought a lever and perch for an 83. Is there really any difference in the clutch cables for the 83's and the 80-82?

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

That's what has me asking, I thought they cables were all the same 80 - 83...is there some difference at the motor end?

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Yep. Check some ebay ads, and you'll see the difference in the clutch cover. Totally redesigned. Not sure the exact difference in the cable, could only be length.

But MP cables are fine, just keep them cleaned and lubed up. Like every 3-6 months or so.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

So the only difference is at the motor then? Not at the lever? I ask because my biked is an 80 and I bought a lever nad perch for an 83. Need to know which cable I need.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Could be at the lever as well. The '83 had a choke lever attached to the clutch perch, where the '80-'82 did not.

But since places selling the cable say the '82 and '83 are the same, I would bet money the difference is at the motor end.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

Well if there is to much of a difference I'll just use the lever and not the perch. I ordered a cable locally to fit my Wing. The lever end I can work around but if it didn't match the motor I would be screwed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.