Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi

I have been looking for a newer battery and came across these which seem new to the UK.

They are chinese made and appear to be for the leisure craft market but sold by a company I have used before here in the UK as a type for my Goldwing.

They are 4 pole ones and described as having glass fibre matting inside to act as an insulater I guess.

They are a little dearer than wet batteries and are not a gell battery as far as I can work out.

Anyone with a jet ski or watercraft come across these?

MotoBatt QuadFlex MBTX24U

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
imported post

Never heard of them. I'm not inclined to be first tester on batteries, I only buy them if I get good feedback.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
imported post

There are several folks over at the M109Riders site that use these. They have higher CCA than the TrueGels which are also popular.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

thanks so far. I am willing to try this first as they are new I gather.

I have since found out that they are a type of agm battery that is mentioned here a few times. They are sold in the US market under the Odyssey name but these are not the same manufacture.

Now I know they are AGM I am more comfortable.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Just an update.

I installed the new motobatt quadflex about a week ago and it fired up the bike first time. It arrived fully charged and I bought it from a local dealer (Suzuki). for £70.00 Install went very well. No mods to the battery cage or the tray. The leads all attached no problems. I used the hex bolt screws that came with the battery.

Terminals screw in to any of the four corners of the battery in any orientation you choose. I chose upright. There are no vent tubes to cope with.

Tested the voltage quickly out of the box and it is a true 12.5.

The bike had not been fired up in about two months so the battery had to crank over quite a bit from new out of the box. I refilled the fuel that had been drained off for storage and after about four attempts the motor burst into life. All the cranks were at full tilt and it didn't give up.

Fours long trips later and all is well. Even the indicators don't dim the headlights at night at tick over. Very impressive.

Will post a further review in about two months.

SO FAR

:)

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
update so far

Been a good few months since I installed this battery. I have to say I am very happy with this battery and would thus recommend it to others in the UK with similar bikes.

I have had a few instances of leaving the bike without charging for two to three weeks and the bike cranks and starts on the second or third push.

Lights still don't dim even when all are in use and the head light doen't dim when the indicators are on at the traffic lights.

Winters on the way so I will post in the spring with the over winter results.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
I'm glad to hear it's been working out well for you. More and more people on the M109Riders forum are switching to these. There have been a few reports of defective units but they were all replaced under warranty, and everyone I have heard of has been happy with the battery.

I am about to order one for my '82 as my old lead acid battery is giving up the ghost. I'll try to post my results here as well after I have had it for a while.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
The Pound must be REALLY strong compared to the US dollar. I'm paying $119 US shipped for mine. That's the best price I can find.

OK - I just Googled it:
1 US dollar = 0.6260 British pounds sterling

That would make it about 74.49 pounds. - You still found a better deal!!

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
I have sold a lot of these motobatt batteries and they are super ,, they have great cranking power , very much like the odessy battery .. great battery to buy for a wing .

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
I installed on of these in my 86 aspy about 3 months ago, on recomendation from a 1500 goldwing rider, and am very impressed with it.

has great cranking power even after sitting fro 2 weeks in cold weather, the bike fired up almost straight away.

I would defintly recommend a try.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
I just installed mine today. I had the same results - fully charged, the bike kicked right over, much stronger cranking than it used to have right out of the box. The flashers do not flash slowly even at idle.

These batteries have a nice setup - there are threaded holes in all 4 corners of the battery for the posts, so they are more of a universal application. (You can set it up for positive on the left or the right.) I may add screws to the unused holes and attach my accessory wires to the "spare" connectors.

It ended up costing $124 to my door (now that Amazon.com is charging sales tax.) I could have gotten a Wal-Mart special for $47.86, so I am hoping this will outlast a regular lead-acid battery. So far, it's a thumbs-up for the battery from me too.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
If that battery is as good as an Odyssey it'll be a great battery.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Keep us up to date on the use of the four posts at once. That will affect others here but not me.

I still intend to post on winter use but it will be very useful to know how they stand up in different climes.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just an update.
The bike was brought back from winter storage. In the open under a cover.
The battery turned over well and bike fired after 3 seconds and lights worked straight away.

No apparent loss over the mild winters we have here.
No leaks or nasty stuff on terminals.:claps:

I am impressed.
No further updates to this post from now. I gues it will expire as any normal battery after a good few years and I don't intnd to drag this post back from the dead then!

Happy riding everyone:waving:

·
Premium Member
1,231 Posts
I am an agent for the Motobatt and have found them impressive. Due to the flexible post mounting and spacer arrangements it means that a smaller range of batteries fit all bikes. Have only had one fail so far that I know of and that came from a questionable importer so they may not have been 1st quality batteries. That said I am using a Chinese AGM off eBay that only cost me $55 delivered to CA in my 1100 Rats Nest.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
Lots of us use those batteries Goldtop and love them. Much better cranking power than most and the 4 posts can be a bonus.
I love mine and the Wing can stay unattended for a good while and still fire up no problem.
I wouldn't go for any other battery now on the Wing or the Pan.
:claps::waving:

·
Administrator
26,566 Posts
I will not buy one simply because it is made in China. No offense intended to the Chinese people.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
I will not buy one simply because it is made in China. No offense intended to the Chinese people.
But you are okay with a bike which has many of it's parts manufactured in Taiwan though? :?
So what is your beef with China?

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
It would be interesting to apply that principle here - 1st thought would be that we would all be running around naked.

Back on topic though, I have already decided on the Motorbatt in about 6 months when I expect my Yuasa to finally give up the ghost

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.