Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well I parked the 1986 aspencade wing at work,(COS in Weed) in covered/heated garage, put on the trickle charger last Sunday 11/30/08. Icame back yesterday to ride home from work (Weed to Yreka)around 21:30 and got 3 miles north of weed on freeway and the motor died,I thought I had hit the kill switch accidently so I flipped it up and down and the motor backfired (doing about 60 mph) and started back up, so I thought all was well. 3 more miles and the motor quitagain andthis time did not recover. So I spent about 1hour or so out in the moonlight (30degrees) waiting for my son to get his lowboy trailer to come get me. Sooooo I think I need some help trying to figure out what happen.. Just the motor died, electric lights, horn, and starter worked good.

Any Ideas

Thanks

Larry

·
Administrator
26,145 Posts
imported post

I betting on the kill switch being bad.

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
imported post

Not a clue about the injected models,(thought all theAspy's were carbed),but I would definatly be taking apart the kill switch and checking it out. Might also get the manual down-loaded and give some concideration to the "Pulse Generators"... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I do not think the kill switch as a thing to do with anything. I used to play like that with one of my older bikes. Hit the kill switch as speed, count, one.......two.......three......four.........turn it back on and BOOM!!! A huge backfire.

It is my guess that you have lost fire to the engine. Check the ignition system, see if you have fire to the plugs. If that works then pull the hose at the carbs and see if you are getting fuel, there may have been enough fuel in the carbs(or fuel line) to create a backfire.

One of those two, either you have lost fire to the ignition system or the fuel pump has went south(or filter)

Kit

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
imported post

Hi, have you tried to start it again since you got it home?

If it will, it sounds like a classic pulse generator scenario.

Les

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

All

Well I'll behornswoggled, I just went out (2days since motor quit) and tried to start the wing........ it started. so whats that mean? I looked for the type of aspencade model it was but it just says 1200a on the manual. I don't know if its fuel injection or ???? I had a venture before and new that pretty darn good, this is noose to me:)

Larry

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
imported post

There are plenty of posts about pulse generators. Simply the unit fails when it gets hot. When it cools down again it will work again. There are tests to confirm this. Search the posts on this site. All will be revealed. It's straight forward to replace.

Les

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Larry, that's why I was wondering if it's an Aspy SEi. Only year that an Aspencade could be injected, or carbed. If it's injected, it'll be Ivory colored. If it's actually gold, and it's an 86, it's an Aspy that's carbed. In any case, it could be pulse generators. If I owned a 1200, I wouldn't go very far with it, unless I had a new pulse generator in it, or at least carrying. Seems that mother used a different supplier for the 1200's, and they're now of the best quality. But, the injected single pulse generator is failing at a real high rate. The double carbed pg's are starting to fail all over the map, too.

For those who have a injected model with a failed pg (NS, I have a fix for those. That's be the LTD/SEi. Let me know. I think I aalso have a fix for the dbbl. carbed pg's, also.

If the dbbl. aspy version is failing, they're disappearing, also, but Venco wings in New Hampshire, I believe has a cpl. left.

http://vencowings.com/cgi-bin/miva.cgi?/Merchant2/merchant.mv+Screen=PROD&Store_Code=VWL&Product_Code=Honda:30300-ML8-680

Store front http://www.vencowings.com/

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Larry's avatar looks like an '85 LTD, there looks to be a hint of horizontal fins in the radiator air outlet an possibly a bump that is the trip computer on the tank top. As Bob said, the color's right for an '85LTD. Do you have a trip computer on top of your tank Larry?

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

exavid wrote:
Larry's avatar looks like an '85 LTD, there looks to be a hint of horizontal fins in the radiator air outlet an possibly a bump that is the trip computer on the tank top. As Bob said, the color's right for an '85LTD. Do you have a trip computer on top of your tank Larry?
No trip computer on mine, I just show its a 1986 Goldwing Aspencad 1200a

Dats all I know:)

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Paul, the top of his faux tank looks like it's slightly raised at the forward part. Like it has the trip puter. But, boy, does that pic look like the 85 LTD. According to Color-Rite paints, the 86 Aspy wasn't provided with that color combo. Maybe the picture (Avatar) isn't his bike at all. And, I see the brown LTD speakers.

Larry, do you have a big round fuel filter on left side just above the back of engine? Also, the LTD/SEi had the large turn lights at the lower fairing, just below the cam belt covers, and there's a "black box" (ECU) under the trunk, with a ob-long window on the left side of that box. That box has led's inside, observed thru that little window.
These items would indicate a fuelie.

A carbed version has roundish aluminum covers on top of carbs. But, only 2 are readily visible.

Either version, you could have bad fuel, bad fuel pump, bad pulse generator(s), bad fuse at the battery area. Just as a starting point, I'd carry a spare plug, and when it quits again, pull a wire, stick the plug on the wire, and laying it on metal of engine, hit the starter, and see if you have spark.

If it were me, I'd get a new pump, and new pulse generators, to be safe and reliable for many miles.

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
imported post

If your not sure if it's carbuated or fuel injected check on your left side of your handle bar next to the grip. There will be a choke lever there which will mean it's carburated. I'm quessing that your Avatar isn't your real bikes picture.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Sorry it took so long to get back, I was assigned to a different city for puter training so have been gone. Since the last time, I downloaded the manuals and it gave directions on checking the pulse generator. The manual said there was a connection on the left side in front of the battery that had to be taken apart and to measure the resistance.
Well the only connection I found had 3 wires instead of 4 (the manual said 4) and all the wires were yellow, and the connection was really rusty and dirty and it had gotten really hot enough at one time to melt a hole in it. I took it apart and used a dremel to clean all the connections, then used contact cleaner, blew it out and put in dialectric gel. Ran real good for about 1 hour so thought all was well. Got up sunday morning to take the wife to breakfast, and we got there but after breakfast it wouldnt start. So we walked a couple of miles before we got a ride, (also forgot my cell:) So I guess I still have the problem, will have to trailer it up to luke in Phoenix.

Just another great adventure:)

Rubber side down

Larry

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
imported post

Larry, I don't know much about the 1200's, but the 3 yellow wire connection is to your stator, which charges your battery. The 1200's are noted for stator failure, and a common sign of this is the melting of that connection that you found and cleaned. I can't say that that is your original problem, but you could be discharging the battery as you're riding, causing the failure, then a few hours later the battery has cooled enough to 'regroup' as it were. Just a thought.

Todd

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
imported post

Larry...you need to solder the 3 yellow wires together and get rid of the plug altogether. While you have the wires cut, do the stator checks in the manual. If all checks ok, then check your regulator/rectifier. I think personally (and I may be wrong) that it is your pulse generators.

On a side note.....you have a wineberry Aspencade (if your avatar is your bike) and it is carb'd.

I don't know if you had another pic as your avatar earlier and have recently changed it:baffled: But here is what a LTD (which is fuel injected) looks like

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

I don't know much about the 1200 specifically but generally with 130K (unless it has been changed) the first thing I would look at would be the timing belt / chain. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

Hello Larry, I have an '86 Interstate, and I've had both of your problems. The melted plug on the left side is the connection for the stator, and as mentioned above it needs to either be replaced or removed. Honda sells the replacement plug, or you can just remove the plug and wire each side together (3 straight wires). If you don't fix this, the stator will fail and you will have to sell a child to afford the fix. The engine cutting off is the pulse generators. I had fits trying to diagnose my problem, but once I figured it out, the fix was pretty easy. The genuine Honda part was about $70.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
imported post

It might have jumped time ( a tooth or 2)

Tom

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
imported post

Just might have had timing belt slip time and may have broken a belt. 138k would be a lot of miles on a belt. probaly electrical but the belts would be a good thing to check

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.