Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have a 1990 GL-1500 w/37000 mi. it has a motor knock at idle but it doesn't get louder with rpms. I dont think its a rod bearing it sounds like its coming from the back of the motor, there is alot of rotating clutch chatter. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Great Board

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

Hi toebarand welcome to the board. Does the noise go away when you pull in the clutch lever (slight rumbling from gearbox bearings isn't unusual and is nothing to worry about)? Also is the noise there with the engine idling or only when riding?

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

The chatter goes away when i pull the clutch in but the knock stays at an idle only.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

With the engine idling, ONE AT A TIME, pull a plug wire on each cylinder for a moment or two and place it back on the spark plug. The engine will skip with each wire pull.. When you pull a plug wireon a cylinder, listen closely, if the knocking either goes away, or sounds much quieter, it's a bad rod. Be sure to use insulated plug wire pliers or you're in for the shock of your life...

A bad rod bearing will increase in noise with rpm. I don't recall a bad clutch basket giving a knocking noise unless the flywheel is loose. Keep us posted on your progress.. :)

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

The knock stayed when i pulled each plug wire off. It doesn't knock when its cold just when it warms up. I guess i'll just turn up the radio:D

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

I'd be interested in "Jason's" opinion ?!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.