Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My 83 wing was running so good yesterday morning but was hard to start in afternoon. I finally got it started and it sounded like a rod knocking and has vapor coming out of exhaust and now will not turn over.
It looks like I will be looking for a good low milage 83 motor. I am taking to local dealer tomorrow and get their opinion.
Does anyone have a good low milage 83 motor for sale?

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

Stretrod48,

Don't give up on that engine just yet. Do you smell gas in the exhaust? If the answer is yes, I would have someone look at the carbs. I had similar syptoms and it turned out to be carburetor related. Ihad thought that the engine was fried as well. You might want to try to pull the plugs to see if they are wet.

I would also check to see if there is any gas pooling at the bottom of the air box.

Good luck!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Another possibility is a leaking head gasket causing a bit of hydraulic lock. I'd sure check it out before replacing the engine, could be an easy fix and a lot cheaper.

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

There is no gas smell from exhaust or from carb area and motor will not turn overwith starter. The battery is a new sealed unit with a good charge. The oil level looks "OK also. I am not a mechanic for sure so I will have to depend on a good mechanic to diagnoseand repair or replace. The local dealer is pricey like most but has a good GL1100 tech. I am not sure that I want to know what there rebuild would cost if that is necessary. I am hoping if worst comes to worst that I can find a good low milage motor. :? It seems so heart breaking as the bike had been running so great. This is the bike that I hoped would last as long as I am able to ride.

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

exavid wrote:
Another possibility is a leaking head gasket causing a bit of hydraulic lock. I'd sure check it out before replacing the engine, could be an easy fix and a lot cheaper.
I had though about this also and hope if this is the problem andthat I have not damaged a piston or bent a rod. :baffled:

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Theseller that has the motor on Ebay only knows that the guy he purchased it from said it was good but does not know much of anything except milage.

I pulled the #2 and #4 plugs out and #4was full of antifreeze. The motor will now turn overbut it doesspew out antifreeze. It sounds like a blown head gasket or worst.

Thanks for the help!! maybe it is not terminal after all!! :clapper: :clapper::clapper:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

stretrod48 wrote:
Ipulled the #2 and #4 plugs out and #4was full of antifreeze. The motor will now turn overbut it doesspew out antifreeze. It sounds like a blown head gasket or worst.
I think you'll find little mechanical damage (here's hoping). I'm still betting on a blown head gasket. It would be a good idea to pull the head as ASAP so you aren't also plagued with rust or corrosion, need to get that water based coolant out of the internals. Likewise drain the oil and pull the filter right away, they are probably water contaminated also.

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

The head will come off tomorrow. I hope I did not run long enought to bend a rod or something evenmore damaging :(

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

stretrod48 wrote:
The head will come off tomorrow. I hope I did not run long enought to bend a rod or something evenmore damaging :(
If it didn't come to a sudden stop while running it's probably okay, other than the water in the jug. When coolant or water gets into the internals of an engine it's important to drain, dry and lubricate it ASAP to prevent corrosion problems.

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

It did not come to a sudden stop while running. The bike was running great when I parked it but the motor would not turn over when I tried to restart an hour later. I checked the battery and there did not seem to be any acid in it at all. I checked it and cleaned post 5 weeks ago but have put 6000 miles on bike during that time. I need to check battery more often and check the charging system! I got a new battery (did not even checkold oneany futher) and installed but motor did not want to turn over. I rocked bike back and forth and then got it startedbut the motor was knocking and did not stop until I shut off motor.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

Sounds like a head gasket blowing. Vapour from exhaust, engine locking up (water in a cylinder does this) and knocking would definitely be symptoms of head gasket failure.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Pull the head off and let us know what you find. You may be experiencing liquid lock. The engine will seize only if the rod let go in the crank case.. You may still have a bad wrist pin or rod bearing (unlikely), but if the engine can be turned over by hand, lock-up was probably caused by coolant build up in the cylinder.

Drain the crank case, change the filter, pull the head, inspect the top of the piston for any marks such as valve impressions. A cracked head, cylinder, or blown head gasket will wreak havoc and drive you nuts looking for the cause.. You might want to inspect the timing belts and replace them at this time if worn.

After you make the repairs, re-fill the crank case with the recommended oil and turn the engine over by hand BEFORE you fire it up for the first time. You don't want a repeat of what you just went thru. When the engine runs on it's own for the first time, there will be all kinds of smoke and steam for a while. Relax, it's just the burn off of coolant and oil in the pipes and whatever was laying on top of the block..

Keep us in the loop on what you find and do..

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

I know I would be way over my head trying to repair it myself so it is in the hands of a pro and should be torn down today I hope. Ithink I could remove the head myself without any problembut would not know how to properly access damage.

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

It turned out that a head gasket was blown and nothing else seems to be damaged. I should be back on the road next week!!! We had hoped to ride down into the Georga mountains this weekend but that will have to wait. At lease I will be back on the road again!!! :clapper: :clapper: :clapper:

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

Glad to hear that stretrod48:cooler:

I am happy that it was nothing serious. Glad to hear that you will soon be back in the seat and on the road.:clapper:

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

I'm late in on this topic, but the locking engine and vapour were the right signs for a head gasket, like Martin said.If the engine turns over with the spark plugs on the vapour side removed then thatconfirms water in the cylinder is what is locking the engine. Glad it was nothing more serious.

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

I am very glad it was nothing more. I was off all week and really miss my daily ride. I have never blown a head gasket before and had no idea that was what it was and had never heard of a hydraulic lock before. This is only my 2nd water cooled bike in my 40 years of riding. Live and learn!! Thanks to everybody :clapper: :clapper: :clapper:for the input and advice. :dance: :dance: :dance:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

stretrod48 wrote:
I am very glad it was nothing more. I was off all week and really miss my daily ride. I have never blown a head gasket before and had no idea that was what it was and had never heard of a hydraulic lock before. This is only my 2nd water cooled bike in my 40 years of riding. Live and learn!! Thanks to everybody :clapper: :clapper: :clapper:for the input and advice. :dance: :dance: :dance:
Hydraulic lock occurs from both leaking coolant and oil that accumulates in a cylinder, it's a more common problem in radial and inverted engines.

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

I know first hand what it is now!! :goofygrin:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.