Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have read many times how much better (or worse) people say their bike shifts after an oil change. I always thought it was pure psychological. I am just as guilty. If I change the radiator cap it seems the car runs cooler. Usually there is no difference but only because we are paying more attention to it. I am not real fussy about the oil I use in mybike. I usually use 10/30 instead of 10/40 as I drive my bike when temps get below 30 degrees.

This time I got a good deal on some 10/40 and after I changed it I thought the bike shiftedharder. Then I talked myself out of it but the reality was it truly did shift a bit harder. Thebike always shifted easy and now it seemed like I had to "pull" it out of gear before going to the next gear. I thought about others on this forum who made comments that I kind of blew off. After a while I came to the conclusion it almost seems like the clutch is dragging slightly. (that's why it felt like I was pulling it out of gear)I made a point of making sure I pulled the lever all the way in and no difference. Then I realized if I pulled the lever in and paused for a fraction of a second it would shift better.

My theory is that the heavier oil tends to make the clutch pack stick together more when the oil is thick. Evidence is that it shifts as perfect as ever when it is nice and warm. When the clutch sticks it acts like the clutch is dragging because it is sort of glued to the pressure plate and flywheel. (for lack of a better description) So now I guess I do buy into the trans shifting better (or worse) with different oils or weights. Not because of the lubricity of the oil directly but that the oil can affect clutch operation ever so slightly. :?

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,793 Posts
imported post

Both of my bikes shift smoother and run quieter with 20/50 compared to 10/40. I use 10/40 in the winter months so it's not just a one time comparison. So what do we make of that?

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

well.. the motor oil is common with the gear-box oil (and clutch, as you point out) so changing the oil changes how stuff in the oil behaves. Thicker, slower, smoother, louder, etc...

I woudl begin to wonder if there had been no change when the common lubrication for all these systems was changed...

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
imported post

Well, Im new to the GL forum but have a CX500, and you can really screw up the wet clucth in the CX500 by using oil with "lubricating aditives" in it. The only oil I use in my CX is deisel grade fully synthetic non additive oil (Rotella T6). Seems that anti wear and environmentally friendly agents will screw the clutch plates and make thme slip.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
imported post

I also use 20w50 in the warmer months and 10w40 in the colder months. The 20w50 seems to quiet the trannys whining considerably. I can tell when its time for an oil change just by the transmission whine or growl, or howl, or what ever you call it, but after 98,000 miles it has a right to complain some

Bob :action:

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

Different people have different perceptions and different bikes react differently to different oils. (have I used the word "different" enough?)

I have an 850 Suzuki from 1979 that will not shift with any oil that is heavier that what is recommended.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
imported post

I recently switched from 10W-30 Valvoline 4-Stroke Motorcycle Oil to Shell Rotella-T 15W-40 upon the recommendation of *some* on the forum. My GL1100 absolutely shifts more smoothly on the 15W-40. After I put on a few miles in hot weather, then it starts to shift a little rougher. However, I know it's more than perception. I went from clunky shifting to smooth shifting, for the most part. I'm not an expert on what other effects it may have, but I really prefer the 15W-40 for shifting so far.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.