Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am advised that i may have to pull my motor and replace a stator:(. i am workin with limited means, and space:shock:. I own a trans jack from harbor freight that i did not need(car was stolen:dude:). can the gl motor sit on a pad 7"x13"? Jack needs 8" to clear. I dread this project. i need this bike running, so i am trying to read in here to attempt to avoid a string of ooop's;). I looked through all the FAQs and found nothing that seemed to deal directly with this, so here i am:?.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

I am not sure if you will get a 8 inch jack under the frame rails without setting the tires up on blocks? If you have a friend 2 guys can do it manually, once the carbs and exhaust is off the engine only weighs about 180 lbs. Or a car style floor jack can also be used. An engine R & R is not really a bad job. I can have one out and in running in less than 4 hours. If you do not have a good set of 90 degree cir clip pliers you will struggle with the driveshaft beyond that it is pretty basic. I did a how to on NGW but you have to be a member to see it :X But you should be able to see the pictures here http://www.nakedgoldwings.com/gallery/Engine-Removal

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

I have the best luck with just a regular floor jack with about a 6 by 6 piece of plywood on it. It allows my to tip it a tad for the driveline. I keep a few wood blocks 6 by 6 or so and a few 4 by 4s handy. its labor intensive but not really that bad after you get the knack of it. Put it on the centerstand and just take your time and slowly move it as neccesary. I think a tranny jack would be a bit cumbersome but never tried it. JB

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

nice pics whisker thanks. three questions who makes that jack, how much cost, and is that 'PB' sprayer som kind of modification?

It appears that i may be over my had to tear into a removal, I am a renter not an owner:(.

If i HAVE to, I Will. I think i am going to go the route of 'accurate as possible' troubleshooting before i commit to that degree of 'diggin'-in'.

this Will come in handy at some point i feel, just i hope i avoid this right now.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

JBz wrote:
I have the best luck with just a regular floor jack with about a 6 by 6 piece of plywood on it. It allows my to tip it a tad for the driveline. I keep a few wood blocks 6 by 6 or so and a few 4 by 4s handy. its labor intensive but not really that bad after you get the knack of it. Put it on the centerstand and just take your time and slowly move it as neccesary. I think a tranny jack would be a bit cumbersome but never tried it. JB
I have not seen this bike on the center stand yet. The P.O. offered to help me get it on the stand the day i bought it, but when i saw him lean down in front of the bike like a linebacker, i QUICKLY said "noooo thanks, i'll work with thekickstand":cheeky1:.

I've been wondering if i can modify that piece you step on to make it longer, or if the original piece has been shortened.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

2Dahorizon wrote:
nice pics whisker thanks. three questions who makes that jack, how much cost, and is that 'PB' sprayer som kind of modification?
That is a standard Motorcycle/ ATV jack. I think this one is made by "Big Red". they are available at Sears or Harbor freight and a bunch of other places. They range from like $60 on up I think. I has been a long time since I shopped for one so don't hold me to that price:cool: PB Blaster is available in a 1 gallon jug and it comes with the hand pump bottle like that. A very worthy investment over spray cans if you do any amount of wrenching.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Whiskerfish wrote:
2Dahorizon wrote:
That is a standard Motorcycle/ ATV jack. I think this one is made by "Big Red". they are available at Sears or Harbor freight and a bunch of other places. They range from like $60 on up I think. I has been a long time since I shopped for one so don't hold me to that price:cool: PB Blaster is available in a 1 gallon jug and it comes with the hand pump bottle like that. A very worthy investment over spray cans if you do any amount of wrenching.
Thanks there is a harbor frieght i can get to from here, looks like i may be doing A LOT of wrenching to get this bike running and up to where i will trust it:cool:.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
imported post

I'm I pretty big boy (250 6' even) and I didn't use a jack or even a friend. I kind of 'slid it over' onto 4x4s. Worked OK for me, I didn't hurt myself :) All depends on the shape you're in? Anyway, I sure leaned a lot and gained a lot of confidence when I did it!

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
imported post

Last weekend I repalced the motor on one of my 81 gl1100's. I put bike on center stand and used a motorcycle jack from Harbor Frieght. It was straight forward to do for one person and over two evenings and nounerous cups of coffee bike was back on the road. Amazing what frame parts you can clean with motor out. LOL:action:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.