Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

my dad was riding down the freeway for about 30 min and the dash and lights all shut off and then the motor died i think its the altenator but not sure any words of advise would help thanks josh.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,205 Posts
imported post

I think you are very close to what happened.

Most likely it is a loss of electrical power. I'm assuming that you ruled out no gas real quick.

What is the battery voltage now, before you try to start it? Then see what the battery voltage reads while you try to crank the engine.

Get it started and put a voltmeter on the battery and see what it charges up to at about 3,000 rpm.

It should be 13.6 to 14.4 if the battery is in good shape.

report back to us.

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
imported post

If you put jumpers on from another battery (very careful !) do the dash lights come on and can you crank the engine ?

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

MAIN FUSE???

that would cause complete power failure.

Whats the draw. How many light and other acc.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

I suspect you have some problems between the battery and the solenoid, (located behind the battery). The main fuse is next to the solenoid, and could be the culprite, as Muay said. Poke and prod around until you figure it out.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Yep, sudden lost of power tells me it's the main fuse. And then I would want to know what caused it. And that could turn out to be alternator shorting out. So if you find it's the fuse, start checking the system.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,768 Posts
imported post

Hey Juice,
On my '87 Interstate the plug above the solenoid fried.
It was a long time ago but I remember the Honda tech said it was a very common problem on that model.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The connector plugged into the top of the starter relay is indeed a culprit in this kind of failure as is the dog bone or fusible link in the little box beside the relay coil. Often these links get a hairline break that isn't visible and may be intermittant. Remove the link from the relay housing and take a look. If it's broken or open you can replace it with a modern automotive blade type fuse. Just get a 30A rated inline fuse holder from an auto parts store (make sure it's a 30A rated one or it may melt), install a couple of terminal eyes on the ends of the wires and screw it down where the fusible link was.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
imported post

thats the connector atop the solenoid, front two terminals burn. All the power to the electrical system goes through there, so a broken connection = no power.

Dangerous!!!

Or also cracked fuse too. Theyre $2, change it.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Perhaps this is dumb, no it is dumb, mine died on the freeway just once, when I coasted to the side, I noticed I hit the kill switch, yep really dumb.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

You are not alone!:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.