Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

A friend of mine has a 89 goldwing with a motor that makes awfull noise below 2000 rpm under load , i just purchased a 94 aspencade parts bike have to pick it up tomorrow, ok my question is will the 94 motor slip right into the 89 or will there be carburator issues and wireing issues. ive pulled a 1500 motor and split the case to repair a shifting fork and its a big job removeing and reinstalling the motor, so i hate todo this motor switch and not be sure everthing will hook up and work right.

thank you

Lloyd

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Area's of concern for you will be engine mounting location, Drive shaft match up, Wireing, exhaust. I am not sure if any of these will match up for you and if they dont, you might encounter some hidden costs with your project. You would have a nice wing if you pull it off!

One of the guru's here may have better answers than I do.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

It should bolt right up, I don't think there's any serious wiring issues either.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

I would not think that would be a problem. Wiring should not be a problem, and there is not much there anyway.

The carb may have one less vacuum line for a third air solenoid. I put a 97 carb on a 88. Also, check the cruise kill micro-switch on the 89 carb. I believe I had to took mine off after I switched carbs. It was a pain since I did not want to take the carb back off.

I would rather swap motors than doing both. Both are challenging, but isn't everything on a Goldwing.

What is making the awful noise?

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
imported post

Nightmare doing it,,,,wet dream when you"ve finished....:))

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I been thinking about useing the 89 carbs but kinda wanted to use the 94 carbs theres around 70,000 more miles on the89 carbs but they still work fine. not sure what the noise is we took it a couple places had it checked and been told everthing from a bad main bearing to it being out of time but i checked timeing its ok. it sounds like under load the transmisson gears want to come out through the side untill above 2000 RPM then its nice and quite but it runs really strong, dont smoke, other than the noise it works great.
thank you
Lloyd

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.