Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I bought a 2003 wing this summer and the motor whines. Is this typical of the 1800 motor. It only had 17,600 miles on it and I've put about 4500 miles on it and it runs like a champ 80mph and 40 mpg, I love it! My 92 1500 was a great bike but I only got about 33 mpg with it.

But this whine, darn things already sound like sewing machines compared to v twins.

Anyone have any suggestons, beside louder pipes?:ssshh:

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Yes it is normal that they sound like a sewing machine.

I have traveled a few 6,000 mile trips and I like the quiet.

Mine is an 05' and I have put over 48,000 on mine and still enjoyin' the ride:action:

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Get aset of Cobra pipes on it , not loud but a lovely hum ,like a porche sound ,oh and a big Irish welcome to the forum ,, :) :)

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

It's that Honda whine of the cam drive. Mine is about 2500 to 3000 rpm. Above that it settles down (or the wind noise over-rides it). Over 115mph you don't notice it much.

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
imported post

Well, there's yer problem right there! You're comparing it to v-twins....there is no comparison to the wing. (That noise is normal, you just aren't accustomed to being able to hear it over engine noise)

·
Honda Guru
2,043 Posts
imported post

I noticed that the 06 and newer models will make this noise more often than older 1800's. Go ahead and ride it.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Hi, Ray. Sure missed seeing you on the 2nd day that we departed from C. Lake. I hope to see you again this next season. I trust you had an uneventful ride back home. Take care down there.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

OOPS DBBL post . Forum sure drags about this timn every eve at this time.

·
Honda Guru
2,043 Posts
imported post

Thanks… we made it home just fine. Had a great time and enjoyed meeting everyone. Hope to do it again as long as the mosquitos don't camp with us next time…:arguing: but to keep this post on topic: the whine in the GL1800 is most likely normal.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

rayworx wrote:
I noticed that the 06 and newer models will make this noise more often than older 1800's. Go ahead and ride it.
That is because of the heavier alternator in it . :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi all, whilst this is supposed to be a quick reply re 1800 whines
I work for a Honda dealer in the workshop and have recently worked on an 2006 onwards gl1800, it came in for aledged whine from (according to most forums and an independent dealer!!!) alternator bearings , after discussions with Honda uk Tec's and other main dealers I did the unthinkable and delved into the dark side of removing the Goldie engine!!!
I fitted both bearings inside the rear cover all new seals gaskets etc , fully re torqued as per Honda spec, at same tome fully re bearing the alternator.
re built re fit and fill with top grade engine oil & coolant
guess what ????
same old same old, so just to put testament to any one who has said its the alternator / drive bearings ,unless yours are really shot at and I doubt they will be don't bother because they wont be any quitter!! what a waste of lots of workshop time and money
if it has a whine live with it unless you got lots of money to waste !!!! its a trait Honda goldwings have, just ask any dealer or go listen to a brand new one as there not much quitter than the 720000 mile one I did
if u want any help or advice please feel free to post me
happy whining lol

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
I kind of like that little bit of whining when I'm rolling to a stop(that's the only time I hear it).Sounds like a turbo diesel spooling down.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.