Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

While we all have enjoyed a summer of riding it is important to keep things in perspective as to the dangers that are involved with the pleasures and hazards of our two and three wheeled machines. Yes I know much of this has been posted and discussed before but a review of the facts, like a pre ride safety check, helps keep us aware. The following link has some eye opening statistics, in particular the number of accidents, many fatal involving drivers making left turns in the path of an approaching motorcycle. Ride long and often.

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pubs/811159.pdf

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the info . . . it reminds me to:

1. Take extra precaution at intersections
2. Drive at a reasonable speed
3. Wear a helmet
4. Don't D and D

And always plan for accident avoidance.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

It would have been nice if it was also broken down by "Types of Motorcycles", I.E., sport, cruisers, touring. I would bet that a good share of the fatalities where kids oncrotch rockets.:?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Collisions with on coming cars that turn left in front of a motorcycle is the most fatal of all types of bike accidents. "I didn't see him," is the usual statement from the driver who hit the bike. All of the above is a good reason to put a headlight modulator on your bike. Not foolproof but certainly gets cagers attention.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
imported post

When I see someone that looks to me like their gonna turn left in front of me, I hit the bright lights on and off right quick or snap the front brakes a little so the headlight bounces up and down from the faring moving.. ..It's the little things that might just keep you alive..

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
imported post

Drive like you are invisible......

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Another technique I make use of is to weave side to side a little in my lane whether the car is in front or following, they tend to want to stay as far away as possible. :action::action:

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

I always stay in the part of the lane were they would expect to see a car. Not in the middle of the lane, but on the left side of the lane. When Im coming into an intersection or a car approaching the road Im on and there is a question in my mind that they may not see me or stop, I lay on the horn a little.

The other day I was given the opportunity to actually pull up beside the young lady who decided to pull out in front of me while laying on my horn and waving to her with one finger right there at her window. She pulled off the side of the road.......... Biotch!

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
imported post

Weaving around you say...Yep, they might think your drunk and watch out for you...ha ha:ROFL:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.