Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
57,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a NHTSA report that runs 30 pages and can get kind of dry in lots of places, but it sure makes it very obvious that wearing our protective riding gear is very helpful in case we go down.

We can wash off the sweat when we wear our ATGATT, but those skin abrasions really hurt and don't go away so easy.

https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/810982

·
Administrator
24,409 Posts
Any idea what they mean by weighted and non-weighted?

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
I saw a group yesterday on the freeway, 1 guy riding with them was wearing a sleeveless t shirt, shorts, and flip flops, I thought to myself, he hasn't met the asphalt YET!!!

·
Administrator
57,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Joe,

My daughter and I saw a girl riding pillion last week, see thru blouse, head band, flip flops...

I commented that she has never tasted the asphalt yet and hope that she never does... all we could see was bare skin from ankles to bra line.

·
Registered
236 Posts
We see a lot of them around here. Mostly on crotch rockets, not so much on cruisers and tourers. Here in Ontario, there have been 30 MC deaths so far this year. All of last year there were 36 MC deaths. We have "maybe" another 1 1/2 to 2 months left of decent weather.
Some stats:

27 riders were driving the motorcycle
3 riders were passengers
10 riders were between the ages of 45 and 54
7 riders were between the ages of 55 and 64

All of the riders were wearing a helmet, (mandatory in Ontario).

Alcohol, excessive speed or losing control of the vehicle are just some of the factors in the collisions.

·
Administrator
57,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just today, I saw a news video of an officer investigating a multi-car + a motorcycle on a 4+ lane highway in Ontario... at the time of the video, they had Drones flying around mapping all of the debris for the Forensic Accident Investigators to figure out who dunnit.

IIRC, the m/c rider probably did not fare too well, he said there was "a fatality", but not who it was.

·
Registered
236 Posts
just today, I saw a news video of an officer investigating a multi-car + a motorcycle on a 4+ lane highway in Ontario... at the time of the video, they had Drones flying around mapping all of the debris for the Forensic Accident Investigators to figure out who dunnit.

IIRC, the m/c rider probably did not fare too well, he said there was "a fatality", but not who it was.
It was a fatality. A woman, 64 years old ran into the back of a car that was stopped for construction on the 401. It happened on Aug 18th of this year.
There's more, but that's the jist of it.
Full article here:

http://www.lfpress.com/2017/08/21/sandra-mione-kent-64-was-the-motorcycle-driver-killed-in-a-highway-401-crash-this-weekend

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.